Heater Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kramer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I recently got a new 33gal aquarium. (a step up from my old 5gal :D)
Ill post pics as soon as I got everything finished :)

I got the aquarium at Petcetera and it was with a kit that had a heater, filter etc.

The Heater is one of those all-glass submersable ones. Its 150W. I am unsure of the brand..its the "Petcetera" brand :?
My problem is that I have it set on its lowest setting (nob turned all the way in the minus position), and at its lowest setting, it maintains the aquarium at 78 Degrees! I cant lower it any further. (I'd like to have it around 76).

Any ideas why its so high on the lowest setting 8O ?

I'm currently going through the same thing, it is possible the heater is defective. I have 2 heaters on my 125 gal and I've unplugged the one heater to see if it makes a difference. I've tried multiple thermometers just to be sure I am getting the right reading. Now I am using a digital one. Take it back to Petcetra and see if they will exchange it. How warm is your house?

WELCOME TO AA! :wave: :smilecolros:

Thanks for the welcome :dope:

My aquarium is in my bedroom and it usually gets pretty warm later in the day, though when it does, the heater shuts off to keep things at 78 degrees.

I have a theory :idea: , the instructions said something like "DONT MOVE NOB MORE THAN 1 NOTCH PER HOUR", but it didnt say why. Well when I got it I turned it off, and I did move it rather fast about half way and it appeared to skip notches because when i moved it so fast, the nob turned very smoothly rather than normally moving in notches.

So my theory is that maby i've brought the nob out of allignment, so what Ill try doing is when I get home, Ill move the nob really fast about half way in the other direction, then Ill slowly bring the nob back down to low according to the instructions. :D

And Ill be keeping close watch of the temperature. Ill let you know what happens. Hopefully this wont bust my heater, but as of this point I dont really care much since I have so little room to adjust the temperature as it is anyway. :onfire:

Well I'll be damned!!!!

The Heater has a tamper proof feature.
Basically the knob on the top will adjust in a 10 degree range. But to adjust further, you have to lift up the knob and it will allow you to turn past the shown limit into a hidden range that will offer an additional range of 10 degrees lower or higher. That way children or others arent able to play with it and accidently adjust the aquarium to a dangerous level!

I feel so dumb :clown:

Also, consider the time of the year. If the ambient room temperature is 78 all day, the aquarium won't fall below that temp.

Back
Top Bottom