Heater Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bnortz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can't calibrate my heater
I've attempted to recalibrate my heater several times and can't get it to the temp i want it at. It has two dials. One has the numbers on it and it's blue and the other is on top of the blue one that's a red arrow. The temp is at 72.5 but I want it at 77. I have it set for 77 but stays at 72. I can move both dials and my directions are unclear so I'm not sure what to do.

is one meant for the amount of time the heater is left on and the other for the amount of heat generated or are their two heatign elements

Bnortz said:
Can't calibrate my heater
I've attempted to recalibrate my heater several times and can't get it to the temp i want it at. It has two dials. One has the numbers on it and it's blue and the other is on top of the blue one that's a red arrow. The temp is at 72.5 but I want it at 77. I have it set for 77 but stays at 72. I can move both dials and my directions are unclear so I'm not sure what to do.

I have the same problem. Do you have the eheim 300w heater? I set mine on 80 and it stays on 78 and turns off. The red dial is to recalibrate but it doesn't seem to work. I hope we get the answer.

I just setup one in my 400L (100Gallon) tank and i had to calibrate it, so here's how I did it (the destructions are not clear, I understand)

I wanted my tank at about 25-27oC, and so I set the blue dial number 26 under the red arrow and plonked it in place.

Now, you need another temp gauge o the other end of the tank to verify/calibrate the heater, let it stabilize.

Now, when I did mine, I found that the temp gauge at the other end of the tank was nearly 28oC, so I needed to calibrate my heater.

Leave the Blue dial alone (don't touch it yet) move the red TAB at the opposite side of the arrow so that it points the red arrow to the temperature your external temp gauge is showing you ( I cant tab switch as I am typing this on iPad within an application, so i can't remember what you said your temp is (72F I think, so point the red arrow by moving the opposite side of the arrow to show 72).

Now your red arrow is pointing at the temperature gauge your external gauge is currently reading (72 for example).

Leave it long enough to stabilize, and now you double check the calibration, check that the external gauge is still reading 72 (and your heater is still set on 72).

Now move the BLUE dial ONLY so that the number you want is under the red arrow (say 77).

Let stabilize.

Now verify that your external temp is showing 77, and you know the calibration is correct. All done.

Once the external temp gauge AND the dial show the same, you did the calibration correctly, all in all it too me two adjustments and about 12 hours of stabilize time, but this is tank size dependent..

Let me know if you have any more drama's..

Toxicfish said:
I just setup one in my 400L (100Gallon) tank and i had to calibrate it, so here's how I did it (the destructions are not clear, I understand)

I wanted my tank at about 25-27oC, and so I set the blue dial number 26 under the red arrow and plonked it in place.

Now, you need another temp gauge o the other end of the tank to verify/calibrate the heater, let it stabilize.

Now, when I did mine, I found that the temp gauge at the other end of the tank was nearly 28oC, so I needed to calibrate my heater.

Leave the Blue dial alone (don't touch it yet) move the red TAB at the opposite side of the arrow so that it points the red arrow to the temperature your external temp gauge is showing you ( I cant tab switch as I am typing this on iPad within an application, so i can't remember what you said your temp is (72F I think, so point the red arrow by moving the opposite side of the arrow to show 72).

Now your red arrow is pointing at the temperature gauge your external gauge is currently reading (72 for example).

Leave it long enough to stabilize, and now you double check the calibration, check that the external gauge is still reading 72 (and your heater is still set on 72).

Now move the BLUE dial ONLY so that the number you want is under the red arrow (say 77).

Let stabilize.

Now verify that your external temp is showing 77, and you know the calibration is correct. All done.

Once the external temp gauge AND the dial show the same, you did the calibration correctly, all in all it too me two adjustments and about 12 hours of stabilize time, but this is tank size dependent..

Let me know if you have any more drama's..

When you said external gauge, do you mean the room temp? Or the thermometer on the opposite side of the heater?

Sorry for the semi post, don't know what happened.

By external temp, I mean the other gauge in your tank (ideally placed at the opposite end of the tank to the heater) I have a small suction cap held temp gauge at the other end of my tank, but I used to have one of those stick on temp gauges, but I found that were not accurate enough.. And were easily affected by the room temp.

Basically, the temperature gauge in your tank (opposite end to the heater) is going to be the reference by which you set the eheim heater, you dial the RED ARROW to the temperature the temperature gauge is telling you the temperature is, then you adjust the BLUE DIAL to the temperature you want.. And then go back and verify the gauge is at the temperature you have told the heater to be... But at the end of the day, as long a your temp gauge is telling you the tank is at then desired temperature, that's the main thing, the red arrow has NO affect on the heater itself or the timing, it is just an adjustable reference point... That's why the heater is said to be calibrate-able.. If you had a cheapo heater,, you would keep swizzling the black knob on top until it was at the temperature you desired ( measured by the gauge in your tank) the same principle applies to the eheim, except instead of a black knob to swizzle blindly, you get a blue dial with numbers on it and a red arrow as the adjustable reference point..

Toxicfish said:
Sorry for the semi post, don't know what happened.

By external temp, I mean the other gauge in your tank (ideally placed at the opposite end of the tank to the heater) I have a small suction cap held temp gauge at the other end of my tank, but I used to have one of those stick on temp gauges, but I found that were not accurate enough.. And were easily affected by the room temp.

Basically, the temperature gauge in your tank (opposite end to the heater) is going to be the reference by which you set the eheim heater, you dial the RED ARROW to the temperature the temperature gauge is telling you the temperature is, then you adjust the BLUE DIAL to the temperature you want.. And then go back and verify the gauge is at the temperature you have told the heater to be... But at the end of the day, as long a your temp gauge is telling you the tank is at then desired temperature, that's the main thing, the red arrow has NO affect on the heater itself or the timing, it is just an adjustable reference point... That's why the heater is said to be calibrate-able.. If you had a cheapo heater,, you would keep swizzling the black knob on top until it was at the temperature you desired ( measured by the gauge in your tank) the same principle applies to the eheim, except instead of a black knob to swizzle blindly, you get a blue dial with numbers on it and a red arrow as the adjustable reference point..

It worked! Now the tank temp is where I want it to be. Thanks a lot. :)

Back
Top Bottom