heater malfunction woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbonem91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
havent been around much lately because my fish were doing really well....

until a week or so ago and my heater malfunctioned and turned my tank (5 gal) into something you might cook spaghetti in. It was almost too hot to put my hand in.....

I immediately removed the heater, emptied half the water and put cooler water in to help the short term.

Amazingly enough, my beta, some older apple snails and one glassfish stayed alive.

But I lost my albino bristlnose, clown pleco, 2 of my glassfish tetras, all of my neons and all of my baby apple snails :(

I recently bought some 'cheaper' tankmates for my remaining fish and the glassfish has begun schooling with the black neons. I was fairly sad for awhile as I really liked my 2 baby plecos (not to mention the cost)

So hopefully everything remains in working order from here on out.

-Tony

you can see my current residents below in my sig...

Thats too bad about your fish. Since its summer here, the weather has been really nice. My tank stays around 80 degrees without a heater. Im always scared to use heaters because of the horror stories one hears. Recently, I decided to put my heater in my tank just incase it got cool at night with my window open. After having my heater in the tank for a day I noticed it looked a little wet on the inside. On closer inspection, the bottom of the heater had been cracked and water had begun to fill it up! 8O Good thing the water had been warm enough to keep the heater off.

Back
Top Bottom