Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Redundancy isn't really what you're after. One of the schools of thought for using 2x heaters is that you size each of the heaters for 1/2 the load, so that combined, you have the wattage you need. That way, if one of them sticks in the 'on' position, it takes longer for your tank to get to "death zone" temperatures. That extra time gives you a longer time period to possibly find the problem and react before it becomes a serious problem. Same thing goes if it sticks in the "off" position - you at least have *some* heat going into the tank and the temps won't drop as fast.
Good point, I didn't look at it that way. I prefer to have the ability to support the tank temp on one heater if the other the should fail. I have both of my 400's powered through an aux relay that is being controlled via a electronic thermostat that I added circuitry too, and is set to kill power to the heaters should the temp get above 84. I'm worried because my tank is in the basement and it does get quite cold down there in the winter.

120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
You brought up a good point too... controllers versus the thermostat built in to the heater. If you're controlling the heaters using a separate temperature controller, the logic I used (2x heater, each with 1/2 the load) doesn't really hold true. Using a controller, you're bypassing the heater's thermostat and your most likely failure point has gone away. Controllers can still fail, but because their construction, that doesn't happen very often.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Depends on what kind of fish you want and what temp you want the tank at along with the ambient temp in the room. I recommend either two Stealths or two Ebo-Jagers each 200-250W. I have a single 250W stealth in my 55g tank and it can push the temp up to 92 easily in the summer months. Being on the East coast with winter coming up I would go with nothing less than two 200W heaters.
bs6749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
In my 70G I use 2 Stealth heaters. One rated for 50G and one rated for 30G. I also have a backup heater if one of them should take a crap. The Stealth heaters are SOOO consistant! I am still a newbie, but I use them in all of my tanks. I started with the Tetra Whisper ones, and they are terrible, VERY inconsistant. So in the long run, paying a little more for the heater will save you money. Good luck!

dkpate is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com