Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Heater Position

For submersible heaters, why is it suggested that it be placed horizontally at the bottom of the tank?

Having it at the bottom would make sense during water changes when your tank level drops and you don't leave your heater exposed to the air (which can lead to premature failure).

But why horizontal versus vertical? Is it the same reason why you would place a long air stone horizontal to get better air-water contact for better circulation?

I get great water circulation at the front of my tank because of where the HOB filter is set up. But that would look silly.

Another place that gets good circulation is at the back of the tank near the filter intake. I don't suppose it would be a problem mounting it vertically the filter intake. Any thoughts on this?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've always figured it is because the temp sensor is at the "top" of the heater. If it heats the water in the vertical position, that warm water rises and the heater may turn off too soon. If it's horizontal, the warm water rises away from the heater and temp sensor.

10 gal quarantine tank with Platies
kimmcannally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

If there is sufficient water circulation around the tank it shouldn't matter where the heater is.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmcannally View Post
I've always figured it is because the temp sensor is at the "top" of the heater. If it heats the water in the vertical position, that warm water rises and the heater may turn off too soon. If it's horizontal, the warm water rises away from the heater and temp sensor.
That certainly makes sense. I'm just going to leave it where it is (bottom, center, horizontal).
Old 03-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have two submersible heaters (one in each back corner). They can be mounted either way, but I just leave them vertical with the dial sticking out so I can adjust the temp without sticking my arm in the tank (and I can see what the dial says). They also have a safety feature that shuts them off when the water level drops to low. It's nice for water changes, one less thing to unplug and forget to plug back in.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #6

The heater part is at the bottom and the thermostat is at the top in all heaters

It's meant to be place vertical to get a true reading of the tank water as heat rises

You should also place the heater next to a filter intake or return to spread the heat more evenly

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com