Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heater Question

I think my 2-Top Fin 300W (45-64 gallon) heaters stopped working. So I went to Petsmart and bought a National Geographic Aqua 300W (up to 250 Gallon) Heater.

Will this be enough to heat my 60 gallon tank?
Has anyone ever used one of these do they work good?
I was thinking about putting in the middle of my tank, is this good placement?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't speak to that particular heater but a 300w heater should be more than enough to heat a 60g tank unless you need to shift the temperature by a very large amount.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just want it to stay around 73-76 or so.

Where is the best placement?
I know they normally say closer to the output of the filter. But I have 2 filters. 1 is a canister filter and the other is a hob filter. I have one near one end and the other near the other end of the aquarium.

I was thinking about putting the new one right in the middle of the tank.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as it is somewhere where the water is flowing you will be fine. Just don't put it in a dead spot, if you have any of those.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Take it back and get a smaller heater, and a different one. An over sized heater is a nuked tank waiting to happen. the only ones I trust on my clients' tanks anymore are Cobalt Neo-Therm and Aqueon Pro. You also want the minimum size to keep the tank warm. In your case that is probably about 2w/gallon. Ideally this is split in to two different heaters so that neither is capable of overheating the tank if it gets stuck on.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wake up this morning and the 2 heaters I thought were broke,seemed to be working. So I turned all the heaters to around 73 or so and going to run all three. My tank was right were I wanted it this morning. So going to see how it goes. I think I put the new heater in a dead spot on my tank so it actually going to help out a lot, I think.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

You need to be really careful about how much heater wattage you have in there. If any of them are strong enough to overheat (it sounds like they all are) every one of them is a disaster waiting to happen. Having all of them in there just gives you that many more chances of one getting stuck on.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alternatively, a heater controller is another way of addressing the issue of overheating.

Either way, I would not continue to use heaters that had stopped working and then mysteriously came back. I have lost too many tanks of fish to heater failures over the years.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
Alternatively, a heater controller is another way of addressing the issue of overheating.

Either way, I would not continue to use heaters that had stopped working and then mysteriously came back. I have lost too many tanks of fish to heater failures over the years.

Will my new heater be enough to heat the entire tank? Where is the best place to put on I have a filter at each end.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velksfish View Post
Will my new heater be enough to heat the entire tank? Where is the best place to put on I have a filter at each end.
A 300w heater is more than enough to heat a 60g tank. Just place it in the flow of the water. Preferably near the outlet but it doesn't matter all that much.

Tags
ate, eat, eater, heat, heater, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com