heater replacement, suggestions plz!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JProx

Aquarium Advice Freak
yesterday i set up a 55gallon tank, after overcoming a bunch of problems.
brieft history: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=23115

everything was running last night (filters,pumps,ect) and after 6hrs i was ready for bed, plugged in my old thermal compact heater (before they put included the pre-set temps) set it, and went to bed. i woke up this morning to find the temp up to 70 degrees, but the heater in the off position, i re adjusted it, it came on for 2mins.. then turned off, and it hasn't come back on (it's been like 8hrs now). i have had this particular heater for 8-9 yrs (constant use for a full 8yrs) so i am thinking it's had a full life, and ready to be replaced.. however my LFS have a limited selection of heaters (more of the thermal compacts, and the non-submesible styles)

i have to order some misc. fittings and repair kits (total on those is 6bucks) that i can't find locally so it makes sense to buy the heater online too. i am probably going to order from thatpetplace.com or bigals.. and i am looking at a few heaters, and would like to get some feedback from people who have used the ones i am looking at.

Rena Cal Excel 300W Heater
Marineland Dual Temp 300 Watt
or another Thermal Compact 300watt with pre-set temp settings

thanks guys

My suggestion would be either Ebo Jager or Visitherm. If you want a really good heater, go with a Won Pro Heat or Pro Heat II. They do cost a little more, but they're worth it IMO.

i was looking at both the ebo before, and was going to buy it when i thought i should at least double check with people on the forums, to see how well the pre-set temp settings worked and completely forgot about it, thanks logan!

if i was going back to saltwater i would buy the won pro but since it's fresh
and only a 55gal tank.. i don't see a large need for it.

anyone have complaints about the ebo's pre set temp settings ?

Even with the setting on the heater, you will need to check the water temperature. Sometimes the heater can read a bit high or low, however the temp will be very stable once set.

Ebo's are great, I've had them run for like 10 years trouble free. I also like the visi-therms. Either way, do double check the temp even if the heater has a temp setting. One of my visi-therms is set at 80 degrees and the water temp is like 82. The preset temps are not accurate and a lot depends on tank size, water flow, etc etc. HTH

You could maybe drop down to a 250 watt. I have a 300 on my 55 gal and it seems like a bit much.

Yeah you can run a 250w on a 55.
Not really much need to spend the extra money on a 300w.
I like to use the Titanium Heaters.
Then you dont have to worry about the glass getting broken.
JMO

thanks guys, for the suggestions.. looks like i will be going ebo jager on this tank.
i know the 300w is above the 5watts/1gallon size rule, but the price difference is a buck. and thanks for the headups on the pre-set temp settings, i would never put blind faith in a heater, i would always have a thermeter in there just to double check, but thanks for your suggestions.

oscarbreeder said:
Yeah you can run a 250w on a 55.
Not really much need to spend the extra money on a 300w.
I like to use the Titanium Heaters.
Then you dont have to worry about the glass getting broken.
JMO

Why not? I have a 300watt for my 30gal if and when I get it set up :lol: :twisted:

I prefer Hagens Thermal-Comact Pre-set line of heaters.

THeir cheaper in cost, but have been good to me thus far.

Altho..I do run a Visi-Therm 250 in my 29gal SW tank.

oscar is just stating the given rule for wattage per gallon of water, a 300 watt is bit over kill for a 55, if the cost difference between a 200w and 300w is a large range.. then it makes sense to get the smaller one. buying bigger is usually a waste, since it costs more to operate it, vs a smaller unit. (same thing applies to a gas furnace, if you get an oversized unit vs sq feet of the house, it will cost more to fire up the burners and keep it running, than it would it was properly sized to the house)

i have used thermal compact eclusively, over the past 10yrs and they are very realible and cheap heaters.. [i agree with you] i do like them alot however that's only because the LFS stock those, visitherms and ebo jager and the therms and jagers are quite a bit more expensive. and it's usually a difference in spending 20bucks vs 30bucks on jager.

only reason i am looking to change from the thermal compacts is, online all the heaters are all pretty much the same price, and i have to order 3 misc parts for other things.. (costs 6bucks and 6 to ship) so i might as well buy online.

I would stick to an Ebo jager They are the best. I have had alot of won heaters stick on for people lately so i would avoid them right now.

Back
Top Bottom