Heater setup for larger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best way to do heating for a large 180 gallon tank?

Single heater or multiple heaters?

If I get multiple heaters, do I want them to both be rated to handle the tank size alone, or do I want to get two underpowered heaters that work together to heat. I'm trying to design this in a way where a heater failure (either not working or staying on idenfinitely) will not be catastrophic.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Lastly - any product recommendations? I have an eheim jager currently and I've been happy with it, but haven't researched others in depth.

If you have money to spend and have a sump/tefugium I would have in line heaters that return to your DT that's just my opinion

What kind of filter are you using? medic747's recommendation is pretty good. Inlines are nice as they keep the equipment out of the tank. However, if you have a sump, you might as well save some cash and just throw the heater(s) in the sump.

If it were me, I would get two heaters that can heat the whole tank. That way if you have a failure, you have a backup.

I was thinking 2 as well. I've done sumps before and agree with your assessment that it's a cost effective way to clean up the display tank. I'm not sure if I'll do a sump for this tank yet. As much as I like them, the evaporation factor of the wet/dry's is pretty crazy.

Any recommended heater products?

Bulk reef supply has a nice auto top off its the elos osmocontroller one pf the best in my opinion but there are alot of DIY setups on the internet

Back
Top Bottom