Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sieski

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to set up my 30g this week for tropical conditions. I was wondering if I should go for one large watt heater or 2 smaller ones either end of the tank? It's 4ft long

What are the dimensions, I'm guessing 48 x 12½ x 13 Tall? You could probably use a higher wattage submersible and install it horizontally near the bottom.

I prefer to go with 2 for most setups so that if one fails, there's a prolonged margin of error because of the other.

ive noticed in my 55's that the ones that have 2 heaters on opposite sides seem to have a more consistant water temperature throughout as well... not to mention what HN1 said, gives a little peace of mind knowing theres a backup in case one fails...

This is true and I agree with HN1, The dimensions of the tank are weird and wasn't sure if you can two in there vertically at the correct wattage. Mind you in order to have peace of mind each heater must be rated for a 30 gallon tank or higher and be able to sustain the temp of the entire tank should one die. I prefer to get a heater rated the next size higher so it doesn't have to work as hard to maintain the temp, It's been my experience that when buying a heater rated for lets say 30 gallons and it's rated by the manufacturer to handle 10 to 30 gal this means the heater even though it will be cheaper then the next size will be working at it's max capacity to keep the temp constant.

Back
Top Bottom