Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm looking to replace our heaters. we have a 20g, a 27g, will be setting up a 10g and an 8g. i at least need to buy a heater for the 8g and am looking into replacing the rest.

so here are my questions:
what brand would you recommend? right now i'm looking at a hydor theo, and also marineland heaters....but i know that there is a marineland that a lot of people have had issues with, but i can't remember which it is. i'm looking at a stealth pro and a visitherm. the prices don't vary much, so i'm wondering about the quality of the heaters, if there is a difference.

also, how many watts would you recommend for each tank size i listed? (8, 10, 20, 27) i was thinking 50, 50, 100, 150. thoughts?

mommytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Marineland Stealth heater and haven't had an issue with it yet. BUT, if I do I like the fact that it has a lifetime warranty at most lfs.

On my 29 gal. I have a 200w. it works well and my tank stays at 81 deg.

I would try a 150w. on the 27g. if it works, awesome, and if it doesn't you have heater for the 20g.

amesdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I use mostly visitherm stealth heaters and have only had a problem with one...in like 6 or 7 years. It worked fine, but developed these weird knots on it...and it worried me, so I replaced it. I've used the regular glass visitherm heaters and they work great too. I like the stealths because they arent glass and are black so they blend in with a black background better.

I agree with your wattages...50, 50, 100, and 150.
2 planted tanks: 40g, 20g ; 38g Reef tank
My links to pics: 40g breeder planted build, 40g breeder planted update, My 38g Reef Build

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a bunch of Hydor Theos and a Fluval E-100. I haven't had a problem with the Theos since I started shutting them off before PWCs. They're supposed to shut off when there's no water, but it seems to screw up the thermostat. The E-100 is cool in a geeky way, but it's huge.

I like your suggested wattages for those tanks.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heaters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com