heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
i'm looking to replace our heaters. we have a 20g, a 27g, will be setting up a 10g and an 8g. i at least need to buy a heater for the 8g and am looking into replacing the rest.

so here are my questions:
what brand would you recommend? right now i'm looking at a hydor theo, and also marineland heaters....but i know that there is a marineland that a lot of people have had issues with, but i can't remember which it is. i'm looking at a stealth pro and a visitherm. the prices don't vary much, so i'm wondering about the quality of the heaters, if there is a difference.

also, how many watts would you recommend for each tank size i listed? (8, 10, 20, 27) i was thinking 50, 50, 100, 150. thoughts?

TIA :D

I have a Marineland Stealth heater and haven't had an issue with it yet. BUT, if I do I like the fact that it has a lifetime warranty at most lfs.

On my 29 gal. I have a 200w. it works well and my tank stays at 81 deg.

I would try a 150w. on the 27g. if it works, awesome, and if it doesn't you have heater for the 20g.

Last edited:
I use mostly visitherm stealth heaters and have only had a problem with one...in like 6 or 7 years. It worked fine, but developed these weird knots on it...and it worried me, so I replaced it. I've used the regular glass visitherm heaters and they work great too. I like the stealths because they arent glass and are black so they blend in with a black background better. :)

I agree with your wattages...50, 50, 100, and 150.

I've got a bunch of Hydor Theos and a Fluval E-100. I haven't had a problem with the Theos since I started shutting them off before PWCs. They're supposed to shut off when there's no water, but it seems to screw up the thermostat. The E-100 is cool in a geeky way, but it's huge.

I like your suggested wattages for those tanks.

Back
Top Bottom