Heaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jps39

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What kind of heater offer the best performance and reliability? I'm just wondering what everyone out there uses, and some pro's and con's if any. Im setting up a 35 gal hex tank and would like some input.

As Sati said visi therm is good - but I hear ebo jager are one of the best. I personally have whisper submersibles in all of my tanks and they've done a great job. They keep the temps very stable and easy to use, they aren't as fancy as the digital and you do have to fiddle with them a bit to get the right temp, but once they have it they stay there. They are also inexpensive.

Yeah, I've never heard a bad word about ebo heaters so that's what I'm trying now with my new tanks. My penn plax is one that's very difficult to get the right temp on. (Skimped on it cause my ex-BF insisted.. Bah.) Like yours, once there it holds it well, but sometimes moving it a millimeter will cause the tank to drop or rise by 10 degrees. IMO, a heater is the one product you absolutely shouldn't skimp on. My heater killed a bunch of fish when it overheated. And if you need to change the temp for any reason you need to be sure it'll be accurate. With illness you often raise the temp for a sick fish. You don't want to finish them off by baking them...

For a glass heater, I'd go with Ebo's or Visitherms. My preference though is a Won Pro Heat or Pro Heat II. I think these will give you the best service and reliability in the long run. They do cost a little more though.

I also use the Pro Heat or Pro Heat II Titanium Heaters.
Very sturdy for my Oscar tank.
The fish cant break these.
I like the external controller and it seems to keep the tank at a constant temperature.

I have 3 Pro Heat II, 2 are in my sump and one in my storage mix water. Once you get them on the right temp they stay exactly at that temp. I prefer the titanium ones over the glass because they wont crack or break. I had my ebo glass crack when my neighbor didn't top off my water for 4 days like he said he would.

I have been a long time user of Ebo Jager heaters. Tried VisiTherm and didn't have much praise for them. After 15 or more years with Ebo Jager, I decided to switch to Won Pro Heaters in my four tanks. I use the less expensive Pro Heat in the two tanks that utilizes sumps, (already have Time & Temp sensors in the main tanks) and Pro Heat II with the digital controllers in the other two tanks that have no sumps.
Very happy with them. No more tearing up the sump to play with the temperature dial on the Ebo's if I need to change temp, no more banging 22" glass heaters against tank walls, live rock when I need to adjust the temperature for the Ebo's in the main tanks.
Temperature stability has greatly improved due to oversizing the heater wattages too.

Back
Top Bottom