heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lksdrinker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any suggestions as to what heater I should be using in a new 29 gal setup? I've got an old heater that does the job but is very finicky. It is the kind with the dial on top where turning clockwise turns up the heat and counterclockwise turns it down. It is definitely working; but does seems to have a pretty large temperature window of where it shuts on or off. I've got it to a point where it keeps the tank between approximately 70-78 degrees but I feel like it should be a little more accurate. I also notice that vibrations will turn the heater on. For example, a heavy footstep near the tank will cause the light to turn on. Similarly, if you just tap the heater it will turn on. If you leave some pressure on the heater it stays on but turns off as soon as you remove your finger.

Am I just being too critical of this thing or should I replace it with something better?

I would replace it. It sounds faulty. I prefer the Cobalt digital heaters. They are very accurate and made of plastic so you don't have to worry about fish bumping them and it breaking, or if you drop it. Amazon has them the cheapest I have seen. My Independent LFS sells them for about $6 more than Amazon but they also have a nice display showing how the heaters work. If I went with something else I would go with the titanium heaters which are also expensive. I hate the glass ones. it seems they are never accurate.

I had a issue like that , it was a faulty heater causing a small electric current in water
it also was leaking by the little switch on top
I would replace yours sounds almost like the same thing mine did
WELCOME to the Forum
wow so many islanders joining lately,
I lived in long island as a kid so many years ago lol
yup you guessed it I"m OLD

Back
Top Bottom