Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question Heaters for 75 gal Discus - 1 big, or 2 smaller?

Am assembling equipment for my discus' new 75 gallon home, & I'm trying to decide if it's better to get one large heater or two mediums. I keep the water at 85 degree ( 15 to 20 degrees over ambient room temp. )
Dual fears are one large heater could cook them if it becomes stuck, but 2 heaters double the chance of equipment failure.
Presently I have an Aqueon 150 watt in their smaller home, but after 5 months the temp dial is meaningless: I had to play w/it to find a setting to maintain desired temp & now check it 10x a day due to lack of trust. Eheim Jager seems to have a great reputation except customer service is sorry if there is a problem. In-line heaters scare me because there's no visible light for assurance, + it is an extra opportunity for a leak.
Many Thanks for your thoughts & advice!

Mimikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going with 2x larger heaters split evenly in the tank with thermometers mounted in each corner. With backup smaller heaters to drop in case one fails.

I've also been looking at the Apex/Neptune setup if you have $$$ to spend, or have $$$ to ensure your discus water conditions are top notch.

Neptune Systems AquaController Apex Kit: Aquarium Controllers and Monitors

Keybler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Its always a good idea to have multiple smaller heaters as it will provide better heat distribution than one larger heater. something else you could also try is a powerhead or wavemaker to help push the heat throughout the aquarium better.
fishfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Use 2 heaters and a controller . I use the Azoo controllers . Good price and have been rock solid for almost a year . As for Eheim/Jager customer service...I had one of their heaters die a couple of weeks ago and after answering a couple questions and providing a receipt they sent me a new heater . Their heaters are all that I use . Hope this helps .
We are meant to be the stewards of the Earth and her creatures....not the masters.
Leeatl is offline   Reply With Quote

ate, big, discus, eat, eater, heat, heater, heaters, small

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com