Heaters in Sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, 30g sump is tested and ready to go for the new 90g tank this weekend. As I was going through everything that needs to go in it last night I realized space is going to be tight for the heaters.

I currently have 2 300w submesibles in my 75g at opposite ends of the tank. Should I put them both in the sump? If I do they will be fairly close to each other because of the baffle system I have. Sump design identical to this one, but 30g:

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046

If I use two one thought is to put one in the skimmer area and the other in the baffles.

Thoughts?

Being close together is fine, just keep them set at the same temperature. The flow of warm water from the sump return will keep the temps pretty even throughout your tank.

I have four close together in my sump. It is a high water flow area. You should have no problems.

I dont even use a heater in my tank. It stays in the middle of house and stays constant 77 all year long. But I do realize that if you have one on an exterior wall that is a different story.

I am in WI which is a different story. I wish it were 77 all year long. :lol:

Set the tank up today and I installed both heaters in the sump, one in the baffles and the other near the drain intake. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom