Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heaters wont raise temp ad needed

Had an Aqueon Heater for a 30 gallon in my 25 tall. And set it for 88 degrees (slowly) but when I took the temp it was only 82. So input a second heater I there made for a 20 gallon an set it for 88 degrees. Now I am at 85 degrees.

I am trying to kill ICH so I am 1 degree short of my goal. Why the heck with 50 gallons worth of heating can I not get my temp to 86 in a 25 gallon?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Are they both definitely working/heating? I there a lid on the tank?

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

To use an aquarium heater effectivly you need to have the water propeerly circulate the tank. The water around the heater may be at the right temp but the rest of the tank could be at a cooler temp. I placed my heater near the middle of my 55 gallon tank. Then I have the outlet nozel from my fluval g4 canister filter helping circulate water. Also my 2 HOB aqueon filters and 1 marineland 400 power head help circulate the water. My water is usually around 77/78 degrees fahrenheit when I check thee temp on my Fluval G3 filter.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the replies

Yeah they are both working and there is a lid. I can try and move them both in front of the HOB output if that may help?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Put them near the intake of the filter so it circulates the water better. If they still don't heat the water enough (and aren't faulty) you can wrap your tank in towels, etc to help keep in the heat.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Since your tank is taller I would get a gentle low gph powerhead (you want circulation but not a river flow going on) and put it half way down your tank. Then angle the output at about 45 degrees to move water from the bottom towards the top of the tank. This will help circulate the heat in the tank.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwohlge1 View Post
Thanks for the replies

Yeah they are both working and there is a lid. I can try and move them both in front of the HOB output if that may help?
Welcome anytime
Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Also are you sure your thermometer is accurate? What is the room temp? If your room temp is significantly lower than the tank it can take alot of wattage to raise temp up to Ich killing levels.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPillow
Also are you sure your thermometer is accurate? What is the room temp? If your room temp is significantly lower than the tank it can take alot of wattage to raise temp up to Ich killing levels.
I have tried 3 different thermometers and room temp is 69-70. I was thinking that may be my issue.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not sure if they are completely submersible and my intake is pretty low. I need a third for my QT tank anyway I might just get this cheap one I saw the was submersible and put if next to the intake

Tags
eat, eater, heaters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com