Heaters wont raise temp ad needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwohlge1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Had an Aqueon Heater for a 30 gallon in my 25 tall. And set it for 88 degrees (slowly) but when I took the temp it was only 82. So input a second heater I there made for a 20 gallon an set it for 88 degrees. Now I am at 85 degrees.

I am trying to kill ICH so I am 1 degree short of my goal. Why the heck with 50 gallons worth of heating can I not get my temp to 86 in a 25 gallon?

To use an aquarium heater effectivly you need to have the water propeerly circulate the tank. The water around the heater may be at the right temp but the rest of the tank could be at a cooler temp. I placed my heater near the middle of my 55 gallon tank. Then I have the outlet nozel from my fluval g4 canister filter helping circulate water. Also my 2 HOB aqueon filters and 1 marineland 400 power head help circulate the water. My water is usually around 77/78 degrees fahrenheit when I check thee temp on my Fluval G3 filter.

Thanks for the replies

Yeah they are both working and there is a lid. I can try and move them both in front of the HOB output if that may help?

Put them near the intake of the filter so it circulates the water better. If they still don't heat the water enough (and aren't faulty) you can wrap your tank in towels, etc to help keep in the heat.

Since your tank is taller I would get a gentle low gph powerhead (you want circulation but not a river flow going on) and put it half way down your tank. Then angle the output at about 45 degrees to move water from the bottom towards the top of the tank. This will help circulate the heat in the tank.

Also are you sure your thermometer is accurate? What is the room temp? If your room temp is significantly lower than the tank it can take alot of wattage to raise temp up to Ich killing levels.

MrPillow said:
Also are you sure your thermometer is accurate? What is the room temp? If your room temp is significantly lower than the tank it can take alot of wattage to raise temp up to Ich killing levels.

I have tried 3 different thermometers and room temp is 69-70. I was thinking that may be my issue.

I am not sure if they are completely submersible and my intake is pretty low. I need a third for my QT tank anyway I might just get this cheap one I saw the was submersible and put if next to the intake

Ok more weirdness. The heaters are set for 88 and they the indicator lights keep turning yellow. My sticker thermometer goes to 86 and it is off the charts.

But I used a meat thermometer and the surface is at 84. The suction cup thermometer states I am at 82 an it is right in the middle depth of the tank and next to the biggest heater.

I also moved the 20g heater next to the intake. The Aqueon is submersible

Attachments

• image-1933913806.jpg
    image-1933913806.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 204
  • image-2120094532.jpg
    image-2120094532.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2493779566.jpg
    image-2493779566.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 117
I would suggest to get a digital thermometer from a repitable company like (i.e coralife etc) or maybe replace the heater for a Fluval E series heater. It has an intergrated LCD temp readout to tell you real time water temp.

For more info on the Fluval E heat check out

Digital thermometers seem to be more accurate. I have a stick on thermometer (not so accurate) and a digital thermometer which is intergrated in my Fluval G3 canister filter.

Thanks again for the help. I hope I don't have to buy another heater I have 4 heaters for 3 tanks atm :eek:

I raised my house temp to 71 hoping to get my extra degree!

I find it hard to believe that 50 gallons of heating can't get a 25 g to 86!?!? What the heck!

Hi, I'm new to fish keeping and was having the same problem as you are. When I went to my LFS to buy a new heater I was informed that some aquarium heaters have an internal temp setting and will only fluctuate 2 degrees up or down from that setting. So I was also cautioned that you need to pay attention to your tank thermometer if the recommended gallon size for the heater is more than the size of your tank. The internal setting may actually be higher than your dialed setting and will heat a tank with less water to a higher temperature. Good luck in curing ich and you are not alone :( Glamurgurl

Most heaters are based on a room temperature of about 68-72 degrees, so for example if you have a 30 gallon tank and want to increase your temperature 5-10 degrees above room temperature (rT) you will need a 100 watt heater (I have a regular 100 w in my 29 and my temperature never goes above 78 even when the room is a 78). If you want to increase the temperature 15 degrees above rT you will need a 150 watt heater and so on.
I have found that if you have about 4-5 watts per gallon you can pretty much keep your tank at any temperature you want, or at least that seems to be true for my 46 G tank in which I have a 200 watt heater.

FreshwaterFishJunkie said:
For 50 gallons I am using a 200 Watt heater. What sizes are your tanks and what wattage are your heaters for the tanks?

I'm not sure the wattage but one is for a 20g and then other is for a 30g

I guess I may need to get a new heater.. Bleghu

For my 55g, I have two 150 watt heaters in different parts of the tank. If one heater goes bad, I have one to keep if from going cold or if one goes berserk, on alone cannot boil the fish.

For a 36g tank I had a 150 watt heater that was keeping the tank at a perfect 78 degrees. I added a 2nd 150 watt heater trying to bring the temp up to treat ich but that didn't work. I upgraded to a 200 watt heater, hopefully that will do the trick. My ammonia levels have spiked. My poor fish haven't eaten in about 4 days. Kissing fish have a dark pink coloring around the inside edge of their fins (close to the body). I'm guessing it's from the ammonia spike. My Discus fish are listing and hiding :(

Back
Top Bottom