Heating problem!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjos11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help again, I am having heating problems, my temperature is 27degress or 80 degress F. I have turned my thermostat heater to minimum which is marked 18 degree the tempeture will not drop. I bought another heater and themostat to double check but the temperature is still sitting high. I want my temperature to be around 24 degress but i can't seem to reduce it. Even when the heater is on minimum, the light comes on the heater. What is going on? The room temperature is around 21-22c

I've had this before, and i'm pretty sure the heater was just too much wattage for the tank. How big is tank, what is heater wattage? This is just a theory, so I'll probably get corrected (hopeully :p)

Well, it could really be a few things. First is How old is your heater and what brand is it. Second would be how many watts is your heater and how large is your tank. the third would be is your tank located to any major heating source like a stove, heating vent, furnace, fireplace, etc.... The fourth would be how powerful is your light and is it right on top of the top of your tank or is it slightly raised above your tank. Any one or combination of theses could be an issue.

If the light is too powerful, then it will cause a raise in temperature. If your tank is near any major heat source then be rest assured that the temperature will go up, if your heater is broken, it most likely will be reading the temperature wrong and will want it to go up and if the heater is too large (watt size) for the tank then that can sometimes be an issue as well.

My tank is not near any heat source. Its all new well 10 days old,it all came as a complete package. Here is the tank and all its components

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/trigon.htm?cat=23

I did buy another heater to test the one I had but it did not change anything. I am wondering if the manufactures 300watt heater is too big. Who am I :roll:

The tank is about 92 gallons, a 300 watt heater isn't even enough wattage. What kind of thermometer are you using to check the temp? It could be that the thermometer isn't accurate or the heater could be defective.

I worked out the tank to be 77gallons = 350litres is this correct? If the heater is to small would I not be struggling to keep temperature up rather than getting it down?

It is the thermometer that came with the tank it a juwel 300watt. Thanks for your help.

Rok - You are using US gallons, where as pjos11 is using UK gallons.
350 liters = 92 US gallon and 77 UK gallons. Why can't the world agree on one unit of measure? :wink:

Pjos11, is there a reason why you are trying to get your tank cooler? IMO 80F or 27C is a comfy temp for most tropical fish. As long as your tank isn't getting alot hotter than this, I say don't worry about it and let it alone. JMHO.

HTH

pjos11 said:
It is the thermometer that came with the tank it a juwel 300watt. Thanks for your help.
Isn't that the heater? It is a thermometer as well? Some thermometers aren't very accurate, such as the ones that stick on the outside of the tank and even some that go in the water. That is why I was asking.

Devilishturtles said:
Rok - You are using US gallons, where as pjos11 is using UK gallons.
Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Yes of course it is the heater My mistake sorry. Thanks everyone for your help. I have a new problem one of my Danios is bullying the others!!!! Any ideas???

Unplug your heater if your worried. A steady drop in temp won't kill your fish, but it will make them prone to disease if it does get to low.
The danio problem you might want to make a seperate post as people will scan the heading of the post but will not see it's content if they chose not to look at it.
Include these things in the post.
a: how many fish have you got?
b: what types of fish and what types of danio are they?
c: how big are they?
d: water parametres?
e: how long the tank is running.
f: what are you feeding your fish.
and anything else you can think of.

With the size of the tank i'd say it wasn't a terrotorial issue, maybe a look into the male/female ratio might give you a good idea of what to expect.
I'd also like to suggest that I think danios are a schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of 7 or more to prevent one being singled out and harrassed.
also maybe adding some smaller faster "dither" fish would help.
Make another post and you'll get more response from more experienced people.

Matt.

Back
Top Bottom