Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heating RO Supply line

I have searched on this forum and googled a bunch and have yet to find a solution. I know RO systems are rated at 77 degrees and my cold supply line is well below that in winter and it effects my water production a lot. The only idea I came up with is to put about 20 ft of water line out of cold water supply before it gets to my RO system. But with moving water not sure how much that would even heat water. Any ideas? I have had the system for almost 2 years and it is essential to my reef. I am just now being bothered by how much water I'm wasting and will come up with some way to use waste water in my washing machine.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't know if this would help but when I was at the home improvement store the other day looking at stuff to winterize my house they had this little wire heater thing that wraps around pipes and heats up to keep them warm. Or could pick up a small plug in heating pad from the drug store like u use for sore muscles. Wrap that around the in tube and should heat up the water a bit.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is a good idea. I will look into the insulating pipe idea thing. Are you talking about those foam wraps? Or something different? I would be little worried about heating pad and electric around water lines. But heading to lowes in a bit and will look into that. Thanks.

Any one run waste water to there washer? I'm thinking of putting a storage tank in crawl space But then not sure how to get water to washer and not have the waste water line conflicting with the actual house supply to the washer.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I bought this

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3846079496.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	69016

I ordered 20 ft of RO line and will attach heated wire to tube with electrical tape which is recommended as long as tape heat resistance above 176 degrees. So my RO line will be here tomorrow and I'll post some more pics on how I install it.

Thanks for the idea!!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yep, that is the kit I saw at the store. Does it say if it has to be used on metal pipe only or are other types ok?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ohhh good question. I'm out right now. I'll read further later. I didn't even open package yet.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well it isn't rated for plastic line. It said could use plastic line but that new plastic line they use in homes. Then would also need special tape. Not rated for 1/4 inch line. I won't risk damage or leak or fire. So just getting foam pipe insulation and will run 20 ft of line thru it. Hope it helps

Tags
eat, eating, heating, line, supply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com