Heating RO Supply line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mpfaff77

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have searched on this forum and googled a bunch and have yet to find a solution. I know RO systems are rated at 77 degrees and my cold supply line is well below that in winter and it effects my water production a lot. The only idea I came up with is to put about 20 ft of water line out of cold water supply before it gets to my RO system. But with moving water not sure how much that would even heat water. Any ideas? I have had the system for almost 2 years and it is essential to my reef. I am just now being bothered by how much water I'm wasting and will come up with some way to use waste water in my washing machine.

I don't know if this would help but when I was at the home improvement store the other day looking at stuff to winterize my house they had this little wire heater thing that wraps around pipes and heats up to keep them warm. Or could pick up a small plug in heating pad from the drug store like u use for sore muscles. Wrap that around the in tube and should heat up the water a bit.

That is a good idea. I will look into the insulating pipe idea thing. Are you talking about those foam wraps? Or something different? I would be little worried about heating pad and electric around water lines. But heading to lowes in a bit and will look into that. Thanks.

Any one run waste water to there washer? I'm thinking of putting a storage tank in crawl space But then not sure how to get water to washer and not have the waste water line conflicting with the actual house supply to the washer.

Well I bought this

image-3846079496.jpg

I ordered 20 ft of RO line and will attach heated wire to tube with electrical tape which is recommended as long as tape heat resistance above 176 degrees. So my RO line will be here tomorrow and I'll post some more pics on how I install it.

Thanks for the idea!!

Yep, that is the kit I saw at the store. Does it say if it has to be used on metal pipe only or are other types ok?

Ohhh good question. I'm out right now. I'll read further later. I didn't even open package yet.

Well it isn't rated for plastic line. It said could use plastic line but that new plastic line they use in homes. Then would also need special tape. Not rated for 1/4 inch line. I won't risk damage or leak or fire. So just getting foam pipe insulation and will run 20 ft of line thru it. Hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom