Help/advice with lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surferjoe86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 2 ft deep aquarium 150 uk Liters with live rock sand and at the moment a lone Boxer shrimp (only just started)

Basically I have rigged a DIY lighting stystem for the moment. Which consists of 5 LED spot lights 25watt output each. At 6000k Day light
Would this be substantial for corals? I know Hard corals need alot of light.
Could anyone name some breeds of coral if any that would be okay with this light?

thankyou Joe

i don't think any corals will thrive under that light joe.
can i see a link to the LED spotlights you are referring to?

Hey thankyou for the reply
I don't have a link but I have a few details

60Led per spot light
120lm
90° beam angle
Daywhite(6000K-6500K)

What would you advise?
thankyou for your time

Actually I think you may be fine in the upper half of the tank for sps coral. If I read your post correctly you have 125w of LED over a 1 meter long tank. Is that correct?
I don't particularly like the temp (6k - 6.5k) of the lighting. Most aim for much higher. I have my LEDs running at 20k.

Yes Cmor 125w in a 1m wide tank
sps? Sorry but I dont know what this means (new to marine)
I have read that 6000k no good. But I have also read that people have kept corals as low as 5000k
where did you get your 20,000k LED's from?
thankyou

My light fixture can range from 13.5k to 24k depending on the combination of whites and blues. I have the Pacific Sun BTEX 120w fixtures which are made up of 120 x 1w LED's.

Joe, you can't keep anything under those lights. believe me. according to your initial post, they have 60 leds per lamp, and they are 25 watts per lamp. you are not going to be able to keep softies colored up under them. cmor- your fixtures have 120 one watt LEDs. he's got a bunch of those little ones...something like this-
60-led-spotlight-bd60-par16e27-y3-579.jpg

joe, again, i highly doubt you can keep anything under them. i would be surprised if mushrooms could keep color under them.

Back
Top Bottom