Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
Jason you do realize everytime you take a filter out or it breaks you ruin your fishtank cycle right?

Also these filters should not be breaking! You have to be doing something way wrong to keep breaking them. Like I said before turn them off when cleaning and leave them off untill the sand settles back down.
I do turn them off when doing water changes. I wait till the aquarium is almost full then i pour a cup of water that i got out of the aquarium to prime the filter again. I then plug it in and thats when it either stops working or it works. Since i have bought the same filters the filter media stays the same and i just used the old ones to keep the aquarium establish. I will try the sponge thingy.
__________________

__________________
JasonJason92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJason92 View Post

I do turn them off when doing water changes. I wait till the aquarium is almost full then i pour a cup of water that i got out of the aquarium to prime the filter again. I then plug it in and thats when it either stops working or it works. Since i have bought the same filters the filter media stays the same and i just used the old ones to keep the aquarium establish. I will try the sponge thingy.
If you didnt wash the sand and its just really small particles
__________________

__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
If you didnt wash the sand and its just really small particles
What do you mean wash the sand? I did wash it when i set up the aquarium. It has been set for 3 months. Should i wash it again?
__________________
JasonJason92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cactuspixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJason92 View Post
What do you mean wash the sand? I did wash it when i set up the aquarium. It has been set for 3 months. Should i wash it again?
No, it doesn't need washing again- just make sure the intake is not close to the sand, stab a hole in a piece of coarse sponge to cover the intake, and ensure the sand has settled after pwcs before turning the filter back on.

I have a couple of HOBs which I use purely for back up BB, and sometimes they have trouble starting back up. Sometimes jiggling the bit that sits over the impeller works, other times I have to get very technical and bang the whole thing a couple of times. :Hide: I probably should clean the impellers more frequently, but unlike my canisters, where I can just shut the valves and take the lid off to clean the impeller (without disturbing the media or the tank) with the HOB I always end up making a mess inside AND out of the tank, and have to disturb the media to get at the impeller. Then I have the problem of fitting it back together so that the impeller can spin freely (the screeching noise when i get it wrong cuts through me!)

I have to say- you've got me worried because I'm about to set up a tank with sand!
__________________
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJason92 View Post

I do turn them off when doing water changes. I wait till the aquarium is almost full then i pour a cup of water that i got out of the aquarium to prime the filter again. I then plug it in and thats when it either stops working or it works. Since i have bought the same filters the filter media stays the same and i just used the old ones to keep the aquarium establish. I will try the sponge thingy.
If you didnt wash the sand and its just really small particles
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
If you didnt wash the sand and its just really small particles
Well i went and exchange the Penguin Bio wheel for the Fluval Aquaclear 20. I also bought one of those sponge thingys that go on the intake tube. I will follow the advice i got on here and wait 5 minutes for everything to settle down after doing water changes to turn the filter back on. I think what the problem for me is that i am using Caribea Sand. When i first got into the hobby years ago, i bought play sand and never had any problems. I might switch to play sand after all it's only 5 bucks. Thax again guys.
__________________
JasonJason92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Home of the situation.
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJason92 View Post

Well i went and exchange the Penguin Bio wheel for the Fluval Aquaclear 20. I also bought one of those sponge thingys that go on the intake tube. I will follow the advice i got on here and wait 5 minutes for everything to settle down after doing water changes to turn the filter back on. I think what the problem for me is that i am using Caribea Sand. When i first got into the hobby years ago, i bought play sand and never had any problems. I might switch to play sand after all it's only 5 bucks. Thax again guys.
Different types of sand never occurred to me. I use play sand without any problems. Good idea on changing it back.
__________________
Pleco is my middle name
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
Different types of sand never occurred to me. I use play sand without any problems. Good idea on changing it back.
Well i did everything you guys told me. I put one of those spongy thingys on the intake tube. I waited 10 minutes for the sand to settle down after doing water changes. The filter lasted me a month and one week. I made the mistake of one day rearanging a plant and sand got into the filter even with the sponge thingy and it stopped working. Yesterday i cleaned the aquarium, dumped all the sand and now using white gravel instead. Hopefully this will work for me. I bought 3 swordtails. I used the same decorations and same filter media to get the aquarium ready for the fish. Hopefully the filter will last me this time. I have never never had this many problems with a filter and i have had so many tanks over the years.
__________________
JasonJason92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
reefdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LittleRock
Posts: 1,033
I to think it may have being the sand. The Caribsand is really find if not wash well it will get into filter. I have it in a 36 gl but only have 20 lbs. but when I run my hand trough it it will go every where.
__________________
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
reefdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LittleRock
Posts: 1,033
Word of advice never junk any extra stuff always come in handy or sell on ebay
__________________

__________________
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.