Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HELP!!! All my Filters have stopped working.

I have a Fluval Edge 6 gallon aquarium with sand and dalmation mollies. I have had it for about 3 months. In those 3 months i have bought 3 filters. The AquaClear that came with it stopped working after a water change. I cleaned it and it started up again. Few weeks later it stopped working. I bought the same filter and again stopped working. I then bought a Marineland penguin bio-wheel 100 and that one only lasted a week. I bought another Marineland 100 and same thing. I dont think these filters and sand mix. Once the sand gets in them they stop working. I try everything cleaning them filling them up with water and nothing. Is there any filter out there that won't stop working when sand gets in them?? Please help.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Canisters maybe? I'm not sure, all of my tanks are sand and none of my filters have stopped working. My plecos kick up a lot of sand and that doesn't seem to be a problem :/ you can try to get the propeller moving on the aqua clear yourself to get it started again. But if it doesn't work completely then maybe someone else has more experience here.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
Canisters maybe? I'm not sure, all of my tanks are sand and none of my filters have stopped working. My plecos kick up a lot of sand and that doesn't seem to be a problem :/ you can try to get the propeller moving on the aqua clear yourself to get it started again. But if it doesn't work completely then maybe someone else has more experience here.
I no longer have the AquaClear's i threw them away. But i did do that for them and it did help but still they stopped working. On the Penguin you can't do that. The propeller is attached by a magnet and the blades are next to that. So if you pull the propeller out nothing happens since the magnet doesn't touch the other part.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #4

I read somewhere that if you have sand substrate you can put piece of panty hose around the intake tube. This way the sand wont be able to get to the mechanical pieces of the filter. But still at the same time it won't suck all the bigger pieces of stuff that needs to be filtered. Its worth a shot. I'll try to find the article I read and I'll post the link.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Larsen View Post
I read somewhere that if you have sand substrate you can put piece of panty hose around the intake tube. This way the sand wont be able to get to the mechanical pieces of the filter. But still at the same time it won't suck all the bigger pieces of stuff that needs to be filtered. Its worth a shot. I'll try to find the article I read and I'll post the link.
Or a piece of sponge. It wouldn't matter what kind of filter it is- they all have impellers, and impellers don't like grit. Make sure you turn the filter off while doing the pwc and wait for the sand to resettle before firing it up again.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJason92 View Post
I have a Fluval Edge 6 gallon aquarium with sand and dalmation mollies. I have had it for about 3 months. In those 3 months i have bought 3 filters. The AquaClear that came with it stopped working after a water change. I cleaned it and it started up again. Few weeks later it stopped working. I bought the same filter and again stopped working. I then bought a Marineland penguin bio-wheel 100 and that one only lasted a week. I bought another Marineland 100 and same thing. I dont think these filters and sand mix. Once the sand gets in them they stop working. I try everything cleaning them filling them up with water and nothing. Is there any filter out there that won't stop working when sand gets in them?? Please help.
Your impeller could have got sand in it if you were not turning your filter off before cleaning ! Check the impeller see if its blocked keep your filter media in the water by an airstone maybe ? To help keep the BB alive .
Old 06-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
Your impeller could have got sand in it if you were not turning your filter off before cleaning ! Check the impeller see if its blocked keep your filter media in the water by an airstone maybe ? To help keep the BB alive .
Thax guys for all the replies. I did clean the filters inside and outside. The propeller did have sand in it on the AquaClear and it did help but as i said it still stopped working a week later. I did see that some people are using a sponge so i might try doing that. Luckly yesterday i was at PetsMart and bought a Fluval U2 filter so that is helping the fish right now. Going to take back the PenGuin 100 BioWheel that i just bought last week and return it or exchange it for the AquaClear it seems to work longer than the Penguin one. Thax again guys.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #8

My Fluval Chi is perfect the water is crystal clear and the filter works fine. I think it's because the filter is at least 8 inches from the sand. On the Fluval Edge the intake tube is only 2 inches from the sand. Never had this much problems before and i had a huge 36 gallon tank before with sand. I will kepp trying.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJason92 View Post

Thax guys for all the replies. I did clean the filters inside and outside. The propeller did have sand in it on the AquaClear and it did help but as i said it still stopped working a week later. I did see that some people are using a sponge so i might try doing that. Luckly yesterday i was at PetsMart and bought a Fluval U2 filter so that is helping the fish right now. Going to take back the PenGuin 100 BioWheel that i just bought last week and return it or exchange it for the AquaClear it seems to work longer than the Penguin one. Thax again guys.
Jason you do realize everytime you take a filter out or it breaks you ruin your fishtank cycle right?

Also these filters should not be breaking! You have to be doing something way wrong to keep breaking them. Like I said before turn them off when cleaning and leave them off untill the sand settles back down.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try and keep the filter intake about 2" above the sand. As was said, turn off your filter during cleaning and/or water changes. You certainly shouldn't be having that many filters break. Grease the impeller, might stop the sand getting inside it. What kind of sand are you using and did you wash it really well before adding it. A small piece of polyfil inside the intake tube might help but will involve clean it more and when you try and take it out, some of the dirt will go back into the tank. You could also try this, a prefilter sponge;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_01210137.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	177647  
Attached Images

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com