Help. Brand New Biowheels were soaked in HOT water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticDreamer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some advice. I bought a set of filters and Bio-Wheel's for both of our Penguin Bio-Wheel 200's. My son was helping me with the tasks, since I was cleaning the gravel with an aquarium gravel vacuum AND replacing the filters and bio wheels. Before I knew it, my son was soaking both bio-wheels in hot water. I do mean hot. Our hot water heater puts out some seriously hot water. He said he thought everything should be sterilized before putting it in the tank. My fault there for not explaining things in more detail I suppose.

My question is obvious. Are the bio-wheels okay after being soaked for 5 - 10 minutes in very hot water? He didn't get a chance to do that to the filters, although, given the choice, I'd rather have to throw away some cheap carbon filters than the expensive bio-wheels.

Before the question is asked, the reason I was replacing the bio-wheels is because they both have tears in them in multiple area's, so I knew that meant they needed replacing. The question still stands: Are my bio-wheels okay or was any beneficial bacteria destroyed with the hot water, rendering them useless? I've tried searching the web before posting here, but I found absolutely nothing about hot water and bio-wheels. Also, this is a freshwater tank and normally kept at a constant 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Thanks in advance for any help.

To clarify- He soaked brand-new bio-wheels that had never been in contact with tank water?

To clarify- He soaked brand-new bio-wheels that had never been in contact with tank water?

Correct. He soaked them in VERY hot water. See, I'm not sure how Bio-Wheels work. I'm not sure if they come with beneficial bacteria? I'm hoping they are okay. I mean, it was an accident so if I have to buy new bio-wheels, we'll chalk it up to a learning lesson. However, I'm hoping the bio-wheels are okay.

I am a novice, however from my understanding the bio-wheels or any filter cartridges are not packaged with any beneficial bacteria. The BB does establish colonies on the filter media from the environment (like air in your home and whatever drops into the tank or from seeded plants or gravel from established tanks) and these bacteria colonies will grow in the presence of ammonia and subsequently nitrites when exposed to tank water and fish waste.

I would soak the bio wheels in treated tank water briefly (as tap water contains chlorine, you want to rinse off whatever tap water is on them now) and squeeze the water from the old filters all over the new ones. Hopefully that will get a good dose of your old bacteria onto these new wheels.

Another tip would be to switch out the old wheels a few weeks apart so the whole cycle doesn't get disturbed by the sudden depleted colony of BB.

Hope this helps

edit: I see you have multiple tanks, so in that case ignore my advice about staggering the replacement. Just test frequently to stay aware of any mini-cycling or disruption.

They are fine. They're called biowheels because the work a lot like a trickle system allowing a very oxygenated area for your bacteria to establish. They don't come with any bacteria or anything like that just made to be easily colonized.

Thank you SO very much. That's SO good to know. This post should also be useful to others looking for the same problem, since it's listed NO WHERE else on the internet that I could find. Thanks again all.

Back
Top Bottom