Help! Canister stopped working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a sunsun canister and I did a water change today and it wasn't working when I turned it back on. The motor is running but it isn't pumping water. I took it apart and the impeller isn't broken but doesn't seem to be spinning. What can I do? Is it fixable? What do I do with all my filter media?

I've never used a canister, but with my hobs it sometimes helps to just take everything apart and put it back together again. It worked when my filter's impeller stopped spinning last night... As for the media, keep it wet. Maybe stick it in a bucket with an airstone if you can.

How long have you had it? When you say the impeller is not working, did you remove the motor housing, plug it to an out let and see the impeller not moving?
If that's the case and the motor's dead ... Put your media in a plastic bag and submerge it in the tank to keep the bacteria wet so they live.

I ran into a similar issue during my first big filter maintenance on my fluval 404.
I couldn't get the water to flow, turned out that some air was trapped somehow. Does it have a priming pump?

I already took it apart and no, the impeller is not moving...but you can hear the motor. The impeller shaft wasn't broken either. and yes it does have a prime button. I tried running it empty and that didn't work either.

How is the impeller shaft connected to the motor?

The very first time I took my fluval apart, I couldn't get the impeller to work either. Turned out the impeller shaft has a rubber tip at one end and I did not push it down all the way into the motor housing.

Once I did the impeller started spinning.

When I plug it in, it looks like it wants to spin.

Attachments

• image-2807779460.jpg
    image-2807779460.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 124
  • image-674788302.jpg
    image-674788302.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 150
This is my first canister too so I'm not 100% how the impeller is supposed to move - does the magnet spin the impeller on the shaft or does it spin the whole shaft?

Rinzy said:
This is my first canister too so I'm not 100% how the impeller is supposed to move - does the magnet spin the impeller on the shaft or does it spin the whole shaft?

The magnet and impeller spin on the shaft. The shaft stays still. Make sure the little rubber bit is in the little groove at the bottom of the hole the impeller goes in. Make sure the shaft is in the little bit of rubber. Make sure the cover is all the way on and locked into place over the top of the impeller. I had the cover come loose in one of my sunsun filters and it stopped the impeller spinning properly.

Make sure the whole canister is full of water. Fill the hoses with water. They are a real pain the prime again if you let the water run out of them. Once everything is full turn it on and pump the prime button over and over. Rock it back and forth to release the air bubbles.

Ok, when I spin the impeller, it only free spins maybe halfway and then is stuck - it doesn't free spin on the shaft - is that my problem?

No. Nothing seems to be stuck - but should the impeller free spin on the shaft? Because mine doesn't so it would have to spin the whole shaft to make the impeller move.

Rinzy said:
No. Nothing seems to be stuck - but should the impeller free spin on the shaft? Because mine doesn't so it would have to spin the whole shaft to make the impeller move.

Yes, it should be free spinning around the shaft. Can you take the shaft out from the impeller and magnet and see if something is blocking it?

Does it just pull straight off? I'm scared to break it but I'd like to pull it apart if I can get it working.

Rinzy said:
Does it just pull straight off? I'm scared to break it but I'd like to pull it apart if I can get it working.

It should just come right out. Don't force it if it doesn't because then something is up.
Give me 5 minutes and I'll get up a picture of mine.

Rinzy said:
Thank you for helping me with this :)

No problem. The can be tricky. :)

image-3253548119.jpg

Closed cover. Sits flush.

image-2178510661.jpg

Opening cover. Twist to open.

image-3924275167.jpg

Shaft is connected to cover.

image-4154967955.jpg

Shaft and impeller separate.

image-1578832482.jpg

Impeller with shaft and rubber plug.

image-1934737702.jpg

Without cover, shaft, impeller or rubber plug.

Ok, mine is totally fixed to the shaft - it all comes out together when I pull it out. Do I need to lube it or something?

Rinzy said:
Ok, mine is totally fixed to the shaft - it all comes out together when I pull it out. Do I need to lube it or something?

So you can't pull it apart?
The shaft doesn't move in the cover?
My cover is fixed to the shaft but if the shaft is free spinning of the cover the shaft could spin with the impeller but that is highly abnormal IME.
They grease the gaskets with petroleum jelly I'm fairly sure.

I had to force it apart - I cleaned it and it's spinning smooth now - I ran it and it works! Thank you do much!

Back
Top Bottom