Help! Changing T5 Bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Help please! My t5 bulb burned out after about 15 mths.... How do I change it? Doesn't seem easy to snap out... How do I do it?
Thanks!

there are two pins on each end of the bulb, youhave to twist the bulb until the pins line up with the slots in the end caps, and then it should just lift out. each light fixture may be a little different though, not terribly difficult but maybe unplug the fixture beforehand to be on the safe side, hope this helps

Yea they are different I wouldn't go just twisting it because mine has a plug and wire on the end that pulls off. What.light are you.talking about? Maybe someone that has that light will chime in

Okay I got the install correct...
However I got a T8 @ Home Depot instead of the T5 I had before. Wattage is same.. 17w.. However its not florescent it seems to be incandescent...? It puts off a yellow color instead of bright and beautiful that I'm used to.....
I think I'm going to have to make a return...
They didn't have any T5's that were thicker... Only skinnier ones. Mine is 24"....
Makes my tank look murky... And its not... Boo :-(

Okay I got the install correct...
However I got a T8 @ Home Depot instead of the T5 I had before. Wattage is same.. 17w.. However its not florescent it seems to be incandescent...? It puts off a yellow color instead of bright and beautiful that I'm used to.....
I think I'm going to have to make a return...
They didn't have any T5's that were thicker... Only skinnier ones. Mine is 24"....
Makes my tank look murky... And its not... Boo :-(

Are you sure you have a t5 fixture?

T5 bulbs are 5/8" in diameter, T8's are 1" in diameter.

The color of the bulb is based on the kelvin rating, it sounds like a soft white , likely 2500-2700k bulbs. You want a daylight bulb, somewhere around 5000k-6700k.

+1
The sizes of fluorescent lights go by 1/8" increments. T-5 = 5/8", T-8=1", T-12=11/2"
Normally, because of the difference in sizes the endcaps wouldn't allow you to plug in the wrong size bulb.

Back
Top Bottom