help choosing filter and skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ektorgt

Aquarium Advice Regular
i bought a 75 gal aquarium and i need to buy a filter and a skimmer.... someone suggested me the emperor 400 filter and the seaclone 100 skimmer...

does anyone have other suggestions or something thats equivalent to these so I can compare prices...???

thanksss

You would be much better paying a little more and getting a wet/dry filter as opposed to the Emperor. The difference in water quality is tremendous. I have use an Emperor in the past, and it worked OK. When I changed to the wet/dry, you could see the difference. As far as the skimmer, I have never used a Seaclone. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Skip the HOB filter unless you want to use it as a convenient way to add carbon. Your LR will handle the bio filtration.

Is your tank plumbed with a sump? If not, then your protein skimmer options are very limited. You will need to look for a HOB type. Skip the seaclone skimmer, they are junk.

If you don't have a sump, then I'd guess that you don't a refugium either. People have converted Aquaclear 500 powerfilters into HOB fuges. Look into that as an option, but I wouldn't waste my money on a Emporer.

I don't know of many good HOB skimmers, but an AquaC Remora works well. It may not be powerful enough for your tank though... It really depends on how heavy you plan on stocking.

I'm personally using a Euroreef CS6-1 on my 72g.

I feel that 10x water flow is on the low side, even if your doing FOWLR. I shoot for 20x flow, but it will really depend on your landscape. You can start with 10x flow and if you notice dead spots, add another powerhead.

Maxijet powerheads are very reliable and work well on wave timers. If you have the $$$, look into Tunze Streams.

I'd also skip a wet'dry filter as they're known to produce excess nitrates. You best bet is to remove the protein from the water before they have a chance to break down into toxins. This is why I advocate heavy skimming.

thanks for the suggestionsss

and no my tank is not plumed with a sump and i dont have a refugium...
someone suggested me at petland the HOB prizm protein skimmer thats supposed to be good for aquariums up to 100 gal. so i dont know if that would be a good choice.

and i could probably buy the aquaclear 500 instead of the emperor filter but what do you mean with HOB fuges???

thanks again

I have the Prizm protien skimmer. I was told it is not very good. However, I can't comment on the effectiveness just yet.

ektorgt said:
thanks for the suggestionsss

and no my tank is not plumed with a sump and i dont have a refugium...
someone suggested me at petland the HOB prizm protein skimmer thats supposed to be good for aquariums up to 100 gal. so i dont know if that would be a good choice.

and i could probably buy the aquaclear 500 instead of the emperor filter but what do you mean with HOB fuges???

thanks again

You convert a AC500 into a HOB fuge. Check these pics out...

http://www.californiareefs.com/tank7reef.htm

Back
Top Bottom