Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is the kind of filter they have, and this website might be more help than I am:
Canister Filters - The First Tank Guide - Filtering Your Aquarium Water

Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

This might also help:
Filstar xP Instructional Video

Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurak
i have a 90 gallon fish tank with cichlids and all of the fish are at the top of the tank and have been for a couple of days. It looks like they are trying to get oxygen. my parents are away and i'm not sure what is wrong, i'm thinking it may have something to do with the air pump but do not know how to turn it on/off.
Hello laurak,

Could you provide a little more info please?

What are you using for filtration?
Is all your equipment working properly?
When was your last water change?
Have you tested your water recently?
If so what were the parameters?
Are there any signs of aggression?
Can you think of anything unusual, or different that has happened recently?

Edit:
Sorry for any repeat questions. The previous replies did not show up when I first viewed the post.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate
This might also help:
Filstar xP Instructional Video
After reading through the thread it definitely seems, as dkpate pointed out, that your filter is the problem.

I will take a look as well to see if I can find any info on this.

But for now, see if you can find an air pump. It will have two very small connections meant for airline tubing, and will probably be about 8" long, just to give you a vague idea if what your looking for. If you can find one and hook it up it will definitely buy you some time.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #15

Ok, after a little research I would be willing to bet that your Rena needs to be reprimed. Perhaps it wasn't primed properly after the last water change or filter maintenance.

It could also be a clogged filter. The Rena filstar forces all the water to travel through the filter. So if the filter were heavily clogged it could restrict or even stop the water flow.

There are other possibilities too. But those are the two that are easiest to fix.

I would recommend that you clean your filter then hook the Rena back up and prime it again. The video link in an earlier post should give you an idea of how to do this.

If you don't think you can do this on your own you should at least try to find airpump you can hook up to get some water movement and surface agitation until the tank owner gets back.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is the pump plugged in? Check that, and then check for an obvious on/off switch, easily found on most pumps. The fish are obviously starving for oxygen, so the sooner you start water circulation the better. (I would also venture to say the tank is overstocked, like most aquariums).

Tags
air, cichlid, cichlids, gas, gasping, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com