HELP - Filter Stopped Working!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CamperAnimal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 for my newly set up 20-gallon tank. It was set up three months ago, with just four platys to cycle it. I'm working my way towards African Dwarf Frogs, but I'm adding life slowly. So for three months, I've just had the platys, and I haven't done anything major - just a couple partial water change. I brought home four little nerite snails today, only to find that the filter stopped working while I was at work. It is plugged into the same cord as my hood light and heater, and the light was still on. (I don't know if the heater was on because its indicator light isn't always on, but the water felt a bit cool.) The motor area felt pretty hot, but I don't know if that's how it always feels. There was still water in the filter, but nothing flowing. I unplugged and replugged, but this thing seems totally dead. My bonehead boyfriend threw out the box and everything, so I don't even know if I can get a replacement. I was assured by the family-owned pet store employees that I wouldn't need to replace anything inside the filter for a long time. I don't have the money or a car to go get a new filter at the moment, and I don't know if there's any way to fix this.

You might just need to clean the impeller. This is common in HOB filters... they won't restart sometimes. You might have to nudge the impeller fan with a skewer stick too. I never owned an aqueon filter but this is something I have to do occasionally with my aqua clear filters and fluval.

Is there a flow control on that filter? If so, if you remove the cover of the filter and set the flow to the lowest setting, can you see the impeller fan that sits under the intake tube? Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with that design.

Thanks.... I had the boyfriend take it apart and clean it out. It took a few tries, but we managed to get it working again. I'm just glad the motor didn't burn out - it was hot as hell! =)

Glad you got it working.. I freaked out too when this first happened to me. Cleaning the impeller usually works to prevent that and to remedy it as well.

Back
Top Bottom