HELP! Filter stopped working!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techiegirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an Aquaclear filter for my 10 gal FW.
I just went to change the media... unplugged it, made the changes and filled it with water.... plugged it back in and nothing!!
It's not the outlet, it's the pump.
So here it is midnite with no backups.... what do I do?
Will my fish be ok? If so, for how long?
Do I need to keep stirring the water?
I have a blue dwarf gourami, a platty and an oto.
HELP! :?

if you are talking about the aquaclear 20 power filter, the same thing happens to my top fin 60 sometimes. all you have to do is pull up the intake tube and impeller and rub the place where the impeller sits... its like the magnet gets gunk between it and the wall and doesnt work as well. works well enough to keep running, but not to start up.

Clean the impeller and the area in which it sits and it will probably start right up. If not, your fish will be fine. For extra safety, aim a fan over the water, so ripples appera on the surface.

Now make sure to fully clean the impeller and impeller well at least once monthly. When I had my shop, I had dozens of peopl bring in 'broken' AquaClears that were just mucky...a quick cleaning, and they worked like new.

I do weekly water changes on both my 10g and 20g tanks, both of which have AquaClears. I have trouble starting them up almost every time, and have had a problem since day one. I have to either 'flick' them with my finger, unplug and replug several times, or most often, empty them out again, unscrew the impeller and blow on it. It's a total pain in the butt, and I've heard AQ's are famous for this problem which is why some people won't use them. They are so user-friendly, so I put up with it, but I plan on contacting Hagen and asking them what their problem is!

Mine turned off while my dad was watching my tank, he went and bought a whisper *groans*, you just have to keep the motor clean....I probably should have warned him about that, would have saved him 20 bucks

Aquafriend said:
I've heard AQ's are famous for this problem which is why some people won't use them.

Only AC minis....and only after at least some minor 'gunking-up'....your filters sound like their impeller shafts may not be sitting true.

Back
Top Bottom