Help! Filter won't startup after cleaning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthorsteinson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I recently started up an aquarium less than 3 months ago. I'm using a Fluval Powerhead 20 for my 10 Gallon aquarium. I did my first filter cleaning, and lo and behold the filter didn't start up when I plugged it back in. I tried cleaning the motor, but it still isn't working- in fact the motor is actually spinning around, but there is no suction through the intake. Any ideas?

Thanks!

This may sound very obvious - but is the filter filled with water? One of my first newby things I learned is some filters won't work unless there is enough water in the tank and the filter.

I'm not familiar with that kind of filter, I have Aqua-Techs and an Emperor 400. But Ive had that happen before with mine and what happened was the intake tube wasn't properly seated in the impeller. If a powerhead is like my kind of filters, try pushing the intake tube down to make sure that it makes contact with the impeller.

twood, I made that mistake as a newbie too! Listening to the motor almost grinding, scares the crap out of ya! Then add water and go, DOH!

Thank you!! When I put water in the filter the first time, I guess there wasn't enough. I filled it the second time, and voila!

Back
Top Bottom