Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help. Fish getting into Overflow!

so i set up a tank with an overflow box. its my first time dealing with an overflow box. i have a 24 gallon nano cube reef tank but dont have these issues. but i finally got a couple small fish in the tank yesterday and today my wife called me because she found one of the fish in the overflow box. luckly the little guy didnt get sucked through the U tube. so she was able to get it out. but does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to keep fish from getting in the overflow? i figured some form of screen would work, but i didnt know if anyone had any pictues to give me some ideas. i did a few searches and the only results i found were people needing to get fish out. but nothing on how to keep them out.

55g FOWLR
Gamefreak0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I use egg crate material from lowes or your local hardware store. Egg crate is the white light panels for industrial building lights. With the little squares. Cut it to size to sit over your hole. I saw you have a cube. If your problem is them getting in the back then I use cut your own filter media and I roll and shove it in between the rear chambers and the light.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks man, thats probably what im gonna do. and sorry, i forgot to update my info. i have a 55g FOWLR that im having the issue with.

55g FOWLR
Old 11-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can cover the over flow with gutter guard as well to keep the fishes from taking rides on the water slide.

Shop Amerimax 20' Vinyl Roll Gutter Guard at Lowes.com

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok cool. thanks

55g FOWLR

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com