Help... I need advice on which air pump to buy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, this is the deal...
I bought an Hagan Elite 802 air pump with two ports to power up a Penn Plax corner filter and a flexible bubble bar. I hate this pump!! It is so freakn' loud. I am gonna go return it to the LFS (this is the only brand he carried) and take off to Petsmart and get something better. So, I was running an AF30 Tetratec which was very quiet, but not enough power.
So, which air pump is the quietest but still with the two ports?

I've a dual port Whisper which is totally silent. Works great tho.

Thanks for the quick response Allivymar!! You have always seem to be such great help... in all forums!! Kudos to you!!
Anyway.. lets get a little technical for a sec. I was told to try maybe the tetratec 150 dual. but, you say Whisper is good. Great, so what model? I gotta go get one later. This Elite one sucks!!! :evil:

Heh I had the same prob with the first one I bought (forget the manufactorer); it sounded like an airplane!

I have 2 pumps....some old thing someone gave me which works great for the 10g and this Whisper beast. Its a 20-60? is what it says on the bottom. I use it in my 25.

Cool! That is exactly what I am looking for. I need to run the corner filter and bubble thing in the 20 gallon tank. I am gonna make em' plug it in for me at the store to make sure it doesn't sound like an airplane.. ha, ha
Thanks again!!! 8)

I've heard those new Rena pumps are really nice. I have two cheapos.. they're both loud and annoying and have no airflow control. Should have sprung for a couple decent ones, these will be replaced in less than a year.

Ryan

Thank you reberly.. Yeah. I just checked out the Rena ones and they are pretty expensive. I looked for the Whisper brand and the Petsmart I was at didn't carry it. I had the guy plug in a couple different ones and the best one for the price was the Tetratec 150. It has dual output and adjustable air flow on bith sides!! It was $29.00. I think it was a really good deal... well so far. i have not yet plugged it in at home to hear the actual noise level... I will let you all know... just in case. Ya' never know when you might want one. :lol:

Well, just an update..
I finally plugged the pump in and it is very powerful!!! Great Pump!
the problem is... I have it located in a cabinet so the noise kinda echos...
So, unfortunatly it still sounds like an airplane!?!?!?
Oh well? :roll:

try using a cardboard box thats a bit bigger than the air pump, and use some thin strips of insulation to line the inside of the box. (plastic foam insulation, it comes in 120 foot rolls for about $5.00 at home depot) I use it to line my PC case due to a noisy Processor fan. just leave a spot on the box open for a air intake.

we have a rena 300 - pretty quiet, but has a nasty haabit of shaking it's airtube loose. we also found these 'japanese - made?' ones called stellar - they were $12 and are so quiet we may move a tank to the bedroom!

Well, I tried the cardboard box cover deal and it still was loud. i think it is because of where it is located in the cabinet. I returned it for The Rena pump that Reberly mentioned. I got the Rena 100. Hopefully it is powerful enough to pump my flexible bubble bar. If not... I have had it and I will just have no pump and no extra bubbles. :?
when i get home I will have to see how quiet and how powerful it claims to be. i will leave an update after I try it out. :idea:

Update!!
The Rena pump works and is super quiet!!! You can actually hear the bubbles in the tank, over the sound of the pump!! ha, ha
SO, a little more expensive than the rest.... but way quiet and wayyyyyyy worth it!!

Back
Top Bottom