Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone. I felt like I did the research online about the silicone. And watched YouTube videos and all recommended ge silicone 1. I wish I had spent the extra money on aquarium silicone instead but what's done is done I just hope I don't lose anymore in the quarantine tank. I have 11 survivors. I've lost 15 today. I will start over again tomorrow

Old 06-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiceg View Post
Thanks everyone. I felt like I did the research online about the silicone. And watched YouTube videos and all recommended ge silicone 1. I wish I had spent the extra money on aquarium silicone instead but what's done is done I just hope I don't lose anymore in the quarantine tank. I have 11 survivors. I've lost 15 today. I will start over again tomorrow
Good luck sorry for your losses keep up the hope

Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiceg View Post
Thank you your first link is exactly what I used. And the tube itself doesn't say mold and mildew resistant anywhere. .
Thats why I ask which silicon 1 do you have since there are different types. You are correct that it doesnt say mildew resistant on the front but if you read the back of their instruction you might find this on line 5.Not for use below the water line or aquariums.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Many of the videos I watched said that the tube would say not for aquarium use, because of liability reasons but that it was still safe. Ya right.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

One more question going forward once my tank is fixed and back up running do you think I should replace the filter media? Would it absorb the poison from the silicone?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hope someone else w/ actual experience w/ this will chime in... but I'd say just rinse the filter in healthy tank water in 3-4 separate containers in small amounts?? So hopefully by the last dip in the last bucket, the poison will be gone. You will lose some bacteria but at least you won't have to start over w/ your cycle. I'd research this further too & see what everybody else says. Honestly, your bacteria may be gone anyway from the poison so maybe it's best to start fresh??
Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say it depends on the filter media being used, and whether it will leach it back out into the tank. I would definitely run it through several batches of dechlorinated water, as your current tank water may be contaminated.

If you're using carbon, I'd say just toss it and get new stuff. If you're running purigen, it may have been fouled by the toxins from the sealant anyway.

For the physical filter media (ie, floss, pads, etc), it's probably safest to get new stuff...just in case.

It's a PITA, yes, but prevents a rerun of the events...
Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good advice I'm just gonna start fresh. My remaining fish may not make it anyway.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

DAP also makes an aquarium safe silicone. And that sucks to hear about your luck.

Tags
dead, led, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com