Help i resealled my aquarium and 24 hours later half my fish are dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone. I felt like I did the research online about the silicone. And watched YouTube videos and all recommended ge silicone 1. I wish I had spent the extra money on aquarium silicone instead but what's done is done I just hope I don't lose anymore in the quarantine tank. I have 11 survivors. I've lost 15 today. I will start over again tomorrow

Thanks everyone. I felt like I did the research online about the silicone. And watched YouTube videos and all recommended ge silicone 1. I wish I had spent the extra money on aquarium silicone instead but what's done is done I just hope I don't lose anymore in the quarantine tank. I have 11 survivors. I've lost 15 today. I will start over again tomorrow

Good luck sorry for your losses keep up the hope

Thank you your first link is exactly what I used. And the tube itself doesn't say mold and mildew resistant anywhere. .

Thats why I ask which silicon 1 do you have since there are different types. You are correct that it doesnt say mildew resistant on the front but if you read the back of their instruction you might find this on line 5.Not for use below the water line or aquariums.

img2802n.jpg

Many of the videos I watched said that the tube would say not for aquarium use, because of liability reasons but that it was still safe. Ya right.

One more question going forward once my tank is fixed and back up running do you think I should replace the filter media? Would it absorb the poison from the silicone?

I hope someone else w/ actual experience w/ this will chime in... but I'd say just rinse the filter in healthy tank water in 3-4 separate containers in small amounts?? So hopefully by the last dip in the last bucket, the poison will be gone. You will lose some bacteria but at least you won't have to start over w/ your cycle. I'd research this further too & see what everybody else says. Honestly, your bacteria may be gone anyway from the poison so maybe it's best to start fresh??

I would say it depends on the filter media being used, and whether it will leach it back out into the tank. I would definitely run it through several batches of dechlorinated water, as your current tank water may be contaminated.

If you're using carbon, I'd say just toss it and get new stuff. If you're running purigen, it may have been fouled by the toxins from the sealant anyway.

For the physical filter media (ie, floss, pads, etc), it's probably safest to get new stuff...just in case.

It's a PITA, yes, but prevents a rerun of the events...

Good advice I'm just gonna start fresh. My remaining fish may not make it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom