help led lighting for saltwater reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will find that most of the cheap LED fixture skimp on the components inside. Some may be made with CREE but if they are not made with high quality waterproof drivers, sealed circiutry and/or gasketing you will not see the investment you made come out.
I lit a 20long with 2 of the Orphek PR25s and then upgraded to my corner tank and am still using them. I recently added a ML7 and think it's the bomb at night.
I am buying stuff for a 120RR I have in the garage and plan to build a custom hood and stand for.... I will be going with the Orpheks, no doubt in my mind.

These Orphek bulbs look pretty cool. So you just screw it into a normal light fixture from home depot or wherever? What do you use for a fixture for these bulbs that has sealed/polymer potted circuitry? I am curious to check these out.

I have two PAR38 Led bulbs, very similiar tot he orphek except they arent dimmable. I found a light fixture in target that is tall enough and sreong enough to hold the bulb. These bulbs are quite heavy. I had to use zip ties on my fixture to hold it in place. I have the other bulb in a home depot clamp holder, but the bulb is quite heavy on it so it sags a bit. :)

Cool, so finding a good complementing fixture for your setup is important but these bulbs give you the flexibility to do that. Anyone know if a rubber seal to put between the bulb and where it screws into the fixture? Seems like that might help with water resistance.

With these bulbs you should have them a fair distance above your tank. Mine is several inches above my tank so it gets no splash and I just move it out of the way when I need to get into the tank.

I bought this.

img_1452033_0_acd05830540171de6da1dad97f02357b.jpg

Took it apart and hung 1/3 of it horizontally over my tank like this. I took the cans off for the bulbs. Added an ML7 in the middle and love them.

img_1452033_1_b4b64458d6002add231acc20fa60924e.jpg

Yeah that does look really great! What did you hang the top of it on?

Yea, I got the aircraft cable at the HW store but I found the anchors on line somewhere. I will see if I can find them and post a link for you.

Back
Top Bottom