HELP!!! MAJOR moldy FILTER issue!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ahhh!! 1st off I wanted to be upfront and honest and say I haven't swished filter media in tank water in quite some time like I know I'm supposed to.
(cringe)

I've been doing weekly 50% PWC and gravel vacuum.

29g Tank:

-1 female guppy
- 2 female mollies
- 1 male Molly
- 1 female Red Mickey mouse platy
- 1 juvie 1" female gold Twinbar platy
- 3 Otos

I did a 50% PWC today and gravel vacuum just now and pulled open the filter to my complete astonishment found this disgusting mess!

View attachment 98839

View attachment 98840

View attachment 98841

View attachment 98842

View attachment 98843

I feel horrible because this is the obvious effects of the neglect of filter swishing HOWEVER I also realized that when I had changed out my cartridge about 2 months ago and put my cut piece to seed the new cartridge I forgot to ever take out the old piece!

My Ph is a steady 8.0
Ammo 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate (out of the test, but always 10-20ppm)

I test with API liquid test kit... And use Prime.

I have the filter out, taken apart and all the cartridge media, etc is in a bucket of tank water until I get advice here...

The tank looks like this right now... Have bubble strip going for oxygen and the heater of course.

View attachment 98849

What is this mold and should I superbly hot water wash my filter and start fresh with a new cycle? I can use media from another tank... But take it out next time after... 2 wks??

This is horrible and I feel like such a bad fishie mom. The fish are swimming around as usual and are seeming quite happy.

WHAT Do I do???

Thank you!!!

somethingsfishy said:
I have not had that problem but I don't see why you cannot clean it in tank water during a water change.

I will be sure to do that from now on, but the white fuzzy mold can't be put back into the filtration system....

I'm imagining I'm going to have to hot water wash the filter itself and get new padding

Just rinse the lot in tank water. If its wet, mould will grow. It happens and I don't foresee any issues. A couple of my tanks grow it on the lid and I just wipe it off.

Mumma.of.two said:
Just rinse the lot in tank water. If its wet, mould will grow. It happens and I don't foresee any issues. A couple of my tanks grow it on the lid and I just wipe it off.

So this white fuzzy nasty looking mold won't hurt the fish, even when it's grown so much on the cartridge? It's got great BB on bottom part but that white mold... I must sound like crazy mama :)

Back
Top Bottom