Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Help me chose an RO/DI

Howdy!

I know there are several threads going on right now on some RO/DI filters and I'm sorry about making yet another thread but I really wanted to try and get some peoples thoughts. I think I know which one I want but lets get some feedback.

The first one is from ebay:
150 GPD 6stage Reverse Osmosis RO DI+Tank Water Filters - eBay (item 380323730560 end time Jun-09-11 22:32:17 PDT)

Standard filter that I'm sure many on this site have gotten. I would need to also purchase a TDS meter (another 20.00 or so). The big thing are the replacement filters that look to be around 115.00 or so. That is pretty big. Total off the bat is going to be around 182 with shipping and the TDS meter.

The other one I'm looking at is:

Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | EXTREME TYPHOON III 150 GPD RODI with Gauge & TDS Alarm & Dual TDS Meter

This one comes with the TDS meter so I won't have to worry about that and replacement filters look to be around 46.00! That is a big difference. Higher upfront cost though being around 280 PLUS shipping (guessing around 30 more dollars) so 310 to start.

I'm leaning toward the second one as I think long-term it may be a better investment. It is about 130 more dollars which is not a small amount.

So what do others think?

What do others think?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
well number two certainly gets my vote on appearance lol

Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check out FilterDirect's store on Ebay. They sell a 100gpd for around $140 and it comes with DI chambers and a pressure gauge. I've had it for a few months and it works perfectly... water in: 520+ppm water out: 000ppm

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where do you get your replacement filters? It is hard to find them on that person's ebay store but piecing together a couple different sells it looks like replacements will be around 100.

I guess another question I should be asking is how often do people have to change the filters?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not trying to be mean or anything, but does anyone really need a RO/DI system that makes up to 150gpd? I'm planning to set up a 220g soon and I was just curious why people make so much RO/DI water
Old 05-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry405 View Post
Not trying to be mean or anything, but does anyone really need a RO/DI system that makes up to 150gpd? I'm planning to set up a 220g soon and I was just curious why people make so much RO/DI water
Some people use their systems for drinking water too at their sink.

I have a 100gpd and haven't made more than 40g at one time. But some people also keep lots of extra water on hand for emergencies. I have 20g for my backup amount. Not sure if the gpd means it actually flows out pure faster, but that's a possibility. LOL

All I know is I get 0tds water and it takes an hour or less for 5g and it cost me like $65. I am starting a 125g and I anticipate needing ALOT more water in the future.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also I have lower water pressure and am hoping one made for more per day will help plus even if I don't make 150 per day it will make what I need much faster. I have always been a fan of overkill.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry405 View Post
My water is extremely hard (527ppm last time I checked) and my pressure is at 25. In order to fill my 13g mixing can it takes about 6-8 hours. Point being, if I got anything less, I'd be shooting myself. 150gpd is with ideal conditions.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know my water system tops out around 50 psi. Granted, it is better than Patrick (thank god!) but still it isn't ideal for one. 150 GPD is at something like 100 psi. I may get 1/2 that if I'm lucky.

Do I need it? Maybe not in the long run but I have a feeling I'll upgrade my tank down the line and I figured it would be better to get something better now.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I know my water system tops out around 50 psi. Granted, it is better than Patrick (thank god!) but still it isn't ideal for one. 150 GPD is at something like 100 psi. I may get 1/2 that if I'm lucky.

Do I need it? Maybe not in the long run but I have a feeling I'll upgrade my tank down the line and I figured it would be better to get something better now.

Exactly how I feel! I know a larger tank is in my future, and I won't have to wait 3 days for a smaller unit to fill a much larger drum for water changes.

Tags
hose, ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com