Help me pick a return pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgc1107

Aquarium Advice Freak
The title says it all, tank is 150gl wide and I think the overflow is 2" PVC (it may be bigger!). I purchased it already drilled. It's currently at my mothers an hour away, she's got a huge basement where we built the stand. I'm going there Sunday so I could check the exact size. I'm quite sure I have to go external because the sump is drilled in a low corner. Just looking for suggestions on size and brand. Thanks in advance for help!

I was looking recently and seems that Danner Mag Drive or Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One are both quality at a good price. I ended up with a Mag Drive. I'm not sure about what size...I'm sure someone else will know.

Go on champion lighting and supply.com they have a good selection of external pumps with gph. Great dealer with hard to find parts also. Little giant pumps and others. Find out drain size but this will give you a idea.

I would go with a reeflo. I've always had good luck with them. A Snapper or perhaps that new Trident "high" pump.

Depends on what the overflow is rated for and the vertical distance from where the pump will sit to the top of the output in the display tank.

Depends on what the overflow is rated for and the vertical distance from where the pump will sit to the top of the output in the display tank.

How do I figure this out? I've seen the chart floating around here to figure out the head loss but if I don't know what size of pump what kind of results should I be looking for to figure out the pump size?

Can I use this?

http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

Yes you can use that. but you need to find out the max flow of your overflow. Aquarium manufacturer should be able to tell you this. Then you need to match return pump flow rate after headloss to the same or just under the flow rate of the overflow.

Yes you can use that. but you need to find out the max flow of your overflow. Aquarium manufacturer should be able to tell you this. Then you need to match return pump flow rate after headloss to the same or just under the flow rate of the overflow.

This may not be possible, I'm not sure the brand of the tank, I purchased it used and there's no sign of any sticker. Any other way to tell?

Looks like a Glasscages aquarium. Try asking them.

Thanks!! 100% sure that's it! I looked on their site and saw pictures of the stand they seek with it and it's the exact one that came with the tank too! I'm going to contact them.

Ok just go PVC measurements in.... Flow into sump is by at 2" and return is a 1" here's a pic

Attachments

• image-1491916312.jpg
    image-1491916312.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 38
I would go with a reeflo. I've always had good luck with them. A Snapper or perhaps that new Trident "high" pump.

Hey mr X wondering if the dart/snapper will be to much power for me? Looks like my overflow will be about 1500 GPH what do you think? I think head loss will be around 6-7 ft maybe.

At 4' of head the snapper will be reduced to about 1900 gph.
IMO, get rid of that spray bar. It's just going to slow things down.

Back
Top Bottom