Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help!!! My filter is screaming!!!

after giving my tank some new water, my filter sounded as if the motor was seizing or sucking air... so i disassembled the filter thinking that there was something jammed inside. after cleaning the motor out and the prop, i placed my filter back onto the tank. (its a hang on) and the noise is still there. there are like little blips every 2 or 3 seconds. what should i do.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you prime it properly?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

what do you mean properly???
Old 03-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Completely is a better word. If there wasn't enough water for the pump to pull in when you started the filter again it may have caused your problem (sucking air).

If it pulled in air only for a short period of time then it probably didn't overheat. If it pulled air for a while, though, your 'screaming' noise now could be due to heat damage I would think.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

it didnt pull air for more than 4 or 5 seconds
Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just cleaned my filter an hour ago and it did the same thing. Is yours an aquaclear? Mine is and my problem was a air bubble in the intake tube that went down into the impeller, it was right above the airstone though so i moved the airstone and now it sounds normal.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

mine is an aquaclear but i found out what the problem is. something got stuck inbetween my impeller and the impeller rod. now i basically have a rattle for a motor, im so mad... how can i get a new motor... any ideas?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
If it's just the impeller assembly itself, can't you just replace it? Instead of the entire motor?

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
I think it would be more cost effective to buy a new filter rather than replace the motor. I'm not totally sure, but I don't think the motor actually has any moving parts.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

its all magnetics. i've temporarily fixed it. im soon upgrading to a canister. i just dont know what size canister to get. i have a 55 gallon with a pair of kribs, pair of rams, pair of pearl gourami's, one bn pleco and one geophagus jurapari. i want to go with an eheim. i just dont know what size. any opinions or guidance would be great, thanks in advance

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com