Help! My tank won't stay clean!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drwhooves

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two 10 gallon filters in a ten Gallon tank with three Mollys two guppies. It will NOT stay clean. Can anyone give me advice? I do a 65-70% water change once a week. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400108307.298314.jpg

Describe what you mean by not clean, please. Is the water cloudy? Unbeaten food? Is something fuzzy (or slimy, or otherwise strange) growing? Are your fish gasping or showing some other stressed behavior?

Also have you run some basic water tests? If so what are the results? What is the temperature, pH, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia?

Yes to cloudy. No to all other symptoms and fish seem obliviously happy. I haven't run other tests yet because I don't have testing equipment as this has never been a problem before

In my opinion, the number one reason for cloudy water is overfeeding. That's what I'd look at first.

Just so you know, here's what happened to me. I went on a trip. When I got home my water was very cloudy. I asked the family member who was interim fish caretaker if he had fed anything other than the autofeeder (I had it set to give adequate food while I was gone-- no handfeeding necessary). The fish caretaker said he hadn't fed extra. I later found out he had not only fed extra while I was gone, but had been all along because the fish "looked hungry" and he "enjoyed watching them eat". I always had a very slight cloudiness that I couldn't quite get rid of.

I had asked him, and I had instructed him about fish feeding, but I was lied to. Once I caught him in the lie, it was confessed, and the appropriate riot act read. There has been totally clear water ever since.

Your situation may be different and I don't even know if there is anyone else in your family or if they would ever do such a thing, but I'm not the first fishkeeper to whom this has happened. Sometimes it is just us who overfeed, or it is innocent without the purposeful deception. The cloudy water could be something else. But it is where I'd start.

I'd recommend you get an API Freshwater Master Test kit as soon as you are able. It will help you to learn what might be going on in your tank. It may help folks here help you.

Your Tank

I have two 10 gallon filters in a ten Gallon tank with three Mollys two guppies. It will NOT stay clean. Can anyone give me advice? I do a 65-70% water change once a week. View attachment 237218

Hello dr...

Extremely small tanks need multiple water changes in a week. I'd suggest half the tank's volume at least every three days. More often would be better. Mollies will be happier in a much larger tank. They are very sensitive to changes in water conditions. The chemistry in a small tank can change quickly and will cause the Mollies problems. Guppies are hardier than Mollies, but are fast breeders and will outgrow a small tank in a few months.

Change the tank water more often and make plans for a larger tank.

B

Hi there
Personally all I think you need to do is cut down on your water changes try only doing 10% a week this will help the chemistry in your water to settle and then hopefully you should have Clearwater within a few weeks this is just one more thing that could be worth a go good luck:)

I'd try cutting down on the changes, reducing the light time, and reduce feeding and see what changes.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are you using for a filter and for lights?

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What brand of food are you feeding? Some cloud water very badly, even if overfeeding is not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom