help needed please - re filter problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penny.1919pp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello i have an aquarium with an aquaclear 20 filter... which to date has been brilliant.
however last time i cleaned tank i changed the filter (the sponge carbon and pellets) and i have had a tank like a
pond ever since? the filter has the water running through it but obviously isnt working otherwise? help!!!!
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

hello i have an aquarium with an aquaclear 20 filter... which to date has been brilliant.
however last time i cleaned tank i changed the filter (the sponge carbon and pellets) and i have had a tank like a
pond ever since? the filter has the water running through it but obviously isnt working otherwise? help!!!!
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

First, what size tank and how long has it been running? When you say you "cleaned" the tank what did you do exactly? Also, what do you mean by you "changed the filter?" Did you change the media or you got a new filter altogether? I believe you meant just the media but just making sure. If your problem is a cloudy murky tank, it's quite possible you started a mini cycle by swapping out ALL of the media. Depending on how and how much you cleaned the tank/filter it might be a while till its back to normal because it sounds like you've started a new cycle.

Hello, Thanks for your reply. Its a 40gallon tank and ran for 7 - 8 months with no problems until now. Yes just the media changed in the filter and all double triple checked its correct? Im upset because I love the fish and the tank but now its like a green pond :(

Hello, Thanks for your reply. Its a 40gallon tank and ran for 7 - 8 months with no problems until now. Yes just the media changed in the filter and all double triple checked its correct? Im upset because I love the fish and the tank but now its like a green pond :(

Well for one that filter is def not big enough for the tank. It's amazing that your tank stayed "clean." While the water may have been clear, your levels of nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia had to be through the roof! That filter is only good for up to 20 gallons and even that's pushing it. Do yourself a huge favor and get an AC 110. Your tank will not get any better with your current filter I can promise you that. Also, by changing ALL of the media your starting a new cycle. Beneficial bacteria grows on the media and when you remove it all at once, your drastically reducing the amount of bacteria that has built up to remove organic waste (ammonia/nitrite). If you are not familiar with what I'm talking about, look up "nitrogen cycle."

I must have the tank size incorrect then as it came built in with the tank? let me check it

I must have the tank size incorrect then as it came built in with the tank? let me check it

Haha, another mistake. Premade setups are a recipe for disaster my friend. The filters that are typically paired with the tanks are not usually sufficient, unless you have 1 fish lol. You did the best thing possible joining the forum.

It would seem so! Let me get the exact details and ill let u know asap. Really appreciating yiur help

ok the aquarium is a fluval edge 46 - 10 gallon. I have one v large blackmoor in and a small fancy goldfish, they are both in good health. does this help ?

It would seem I confused litres with gallons !

Ahh I see. Could you take a pic of the tank? I'm stil going to stick with it going through another cycle. Goldfish have very large bioloads and it may be small now but you eventually will need a much larger tank for it

Yeah your going through a cycle and it looks like you have green water. The moor and goldfish are actually too much bioload for that filter anyway. I'd upgrade your filter

Ok so in the mean time shall i just keep doing regular water changes and will it eventually right itself? it stayed clear no problems before I change the **** thing!

Ok so in the mean time shall i just keep doing regular water changes and will it eventually right itself? it stayed clear no problems before I change the **** thing!

Yeah I'd do 25% for the next couple days to help the cycle run its course

As mentioned before, you threw out all the BB which was helping to keep the tank clear and helping process the fish waste.

It should require 75% water changes maybe, even 2x per day to keep that water clean.

You need to get a test kit to measure all your Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates, this is a serious situation for the health of your fish.

PLEASE get the fish into a new tank or rehome, the suggested minimum size for a Goldfish is 20G for the first fish and 10G for each additional fish, and a turnover rate for your filter of a minimum of 10 x your gallons per hour /50 Gallon tank 500 gallons per hour.

Also can depend on your feeding - food type and quantity.

And how often/much you do pwc.

This may be a small consolation, but you may well have spared your fish by making these mistakes: ammonia build up could well have overwhelmed the filter and caused a die-off without the water ever turning a bit cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom