HELP new 75 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikko7287

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a new 75 gallon aquarium and the top rim is kinda loose on one side is that bad? It's not cracked or damaged just a little loose but I heard it keeps the tank from bowing.. It's the peice my hands on I don't want to drive 2 hours to exchange it thanks for the helpImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392354324.661458.jpg

I just bought a new 75 gallon aquarium and the top rim is kinda loose on one side is that bad? It's not cracked or damaged just a little loose but I heard it keeps the tank from bowing.. It's the peice my hands on I don't want to drive 2 hours to exchange it thanks for the help

It is safe but if your worried, goto lowes/ home depot and pick up GE 1 silicone and lift the trim a bit and sweeze some in. It will fix the looseness

It is safe but if your worried, goto lowes/ home depot and pick up GE 1 silicone and lift the trim a bit and sweeze some in. It will fix the looseness

Just make sure that it is aquarium safe. Not all GE 1 is safe for aquariums (I think they recently changed the formula, as I found out the hard way after buying a tube, but before I used it). It will say so on the tube.

Just make sure that it is aquarium safe. Not all GE 1 is safe for aquariums (I think they recently changed the formula, as I found out the hard way after buying a tube, but before I used it). It will say so on the tube.

Whaaaat!? Why would they torture us like that. I did not know that

Tell me about it. I picked up a tube of it without even checking, it was the plain old GE 1 silicone (not for windows or showers or exterior or paintable), and when I got it home, in super tiny print on the back that I needed a scanning electron microscope to read: "Not for use in aquariums".

I think I seen some at petco before it was in a small tube

Also, the message might not be a warning w.r.t. the toxicity of the sealant, but it could just be that GE (or Momentive, who is the manufacturer) is just doing CYA w.r.t. the strength of the seal...they might not want folks to use a tube to seal up some gonzo sized tank only to have the seams give way.

Tell me about it. I picked up a tube of it without even checking, it was the plain old GE 1 silicone (not for windows or showers or exterior or paintable), and when I got it home, in super tiny print on the back that I needed a scanning electron microscope to read: "Not for use in aquariums".

They always said that. It's the one for Windows and doors you need

Also, the message might not be a warning w.r.t. the toxicity of the sealant, but it could just be that GE (or Momentive, who is the manufacturer) is just doing CYA w.r.t. the strength of the seal...they might not want folks to use a tube to seal up some gonzo sized tank only to have the seams give way.

Yes it has to say that so they aren't responsible in case that does happen and or someone loses 10,000$ worth of fish

Back
Top Bottom