help picking a new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximus13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was thinking of getting a new canister filter and I think I've narrowed it down to 2. Either
the Aquatop CF500 with UV light, or a Fluval 406. Which one would you guys recommend and why? or maybe neither? Thanks!

Eheim Classic 2215

You will not have a problem with it for a decade and is easy to clean

AquaTop. Less than half the price of the Fluval, comes with a spray bar and is a really good filter (I have two, a 400 and a 500).

I also thought about the Eheim 2217, but the only thing that I'm hesitant about is the cost for all the filter media and being able to find it anywhere but online. With the AquaTop and Fluval, I could just use my current media.

Would it still be wise to get an Eheim? I've heard good things about them, but are they really THAT good?

Maximus13 said:
I also thought about the Eheim 2217, but the only thing that I'm hesitant about is the cost for all the filter media and being able to find it anywhere but online. With the AquaTop and Fluval, I could just use my current media.

Would it still be wise to get an Eheim? I've heard good things about them, but are they really THAT good?

I've used heaps of filters and have nothing but praise for my two 2217s. They aren't cheap but I really do find their reliability, ease of use (Start up is kind of gross though :D) and filtration fantastic.

However mine are on 55G tanks so my substitutes were more expensive than yours will be.

But yeah, the Eheim classic series are easily the best filters I have ever used.

how about finding the top polishing pad? is that easy or could you sub some other type and just cut to size?

Maximus13 said:
how about finding the top polishing pad? is that easy or could you sub some other type and just cut to size?

Never had any issues getting Eheim filter media (Just the cost but that's a one off purchase) but I generally just buy generic filter wool and pads (Too stingy for non-media Eheim stuff :)) and my water is always fine.

Back
Top Bottom