Help Please, filter trouble.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imagesbybarbara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am new to the forum I have had aquariums for many years now. Over the past 15 years I have had a 150 gallon tank and all I have is trouble with canister filters. Right now I have a Marineland 360 and a Fluval 406, I do not change the media but every six months because of the issues with them. After the first couple of months the primer broke on the Fluval but I always seem to get it started until today. The filter will not prime at all. Does anyone have any advice for me.

As for the Marineland every time I change the media in it the canister leaks at the o ring, that is the reason for the 6 months change out because I hate to do it so much.

Would a Aqua Clear filter 110 be of any use for me instead of using these canister filers?

Thanks for any help, really frantic right now.

Try priming by using a powerheads to fish the water through the intake pipe. I have to do that to prime my eheim. I had to do that just last night with a boyu canister.
I rinse my filter media every month or so (depending on the bioload of the tank it is filtering)
I clean the plumbing every 2-3 months to prevent clogging and restricting the water flow

Make sure the o ring is seated correctly before putting the top back on. Perhaps try lubricating it with some Vaseline 1st.

Also- other than poly fibre, you shouldn't be changing the filter media.

Thanks for the help. Cactuspixie I do not have any power heads to prime the intake, on a tank that size I probably should.

I also tried Vaseline on the o-ring, apparently the Marienland 360 has this issue every time you clean the media, Marienland also sent me a couple extra o-rings because of the leaking.

I did go to my local pet store and picked up a new filter, I find you can get it cheaper else where I hope I made a good choice it is suppose to filter up to 265 gallons.

API Filstar Canister Filter - XP-XL

I don't have a powerhead to try, probably should with the tank size. I did go to the local pet store today and bought a different filter out of fear of my fish not getting enough oxygen hopefully I made a good choice, although I found it cheaper online but need it today. Here is the model.

API Filstar Canister Filter - XP-XL

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom