Help please urgent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfishgirl1999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just got three fantailed calico goldfish from pj's pets in the mall and they are jot that big.
For my tank I used my old hermit crab tank (witch is a little bit smaller than 10g I would say 7) and washed it out REALLY good but I was looking on Internet and it said that I needed like a 38 gallon tank the guy who helped us said nothing about the tank so now I am FREAKING OUT that they might die....they are so cute :)
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME
(and this is my first fish that isn't a Betta ...I had hundreds of those)

Attachments

• image-2109596352.jpg
    image-2109596352.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 178
  • image-963082823.jpg
    image-963082823.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 169
  • image-3092395950.jpg
    image-3092395950.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 170
They look ok for now, but you will probably need to get a bigger tank. They can get pretty big. 6-10 inches is probably very attainable.

Goldfish are pretty hearty so for now you're ok. You'll have to see about getting a filter of some kind though since goldfish are notorious for being very dirty. I had 3 comets before and it was impossible to keep the water clear for more than a few days even with filtering. The filter will also aerate the water so the fish get oxygen.

How big do u think I will need when they grow and I don't have a filter and wash it by hand but then I have to do that very often do you think it was stress then out a lot ???

Dear Goldfishgirl1999,
Fantails are considered "fancy goldfish" and they will need in the near future much more space. The rule of thumb for goldfish is 20 gallons for first and 10 gallon for each additional goldfish...so 40 gallons eventually. Plus goldfish require as much filtration as possible--usually calculated as 10X the gallons or 400 gph. They prefer long tanks verses tall tanks. Fantails can grow to 6-8 inches. So I would get as large an aquarium and filter package as you can afford as soon as you can. Goldfish are rather hardy but poor water conditions (high ammonia, nitrates and nitrites) can kill them and allow bad bacteria to grow and infect them. In the small tank you will need to do frequent large water changes (treated with prime) and get a small filter. Then when you get a new tank you can use the small filter and a new filter in the new tank and much more quickly cycle the new tank. There's a really good thread here on AA about how to cycle with fish in that will also help you. Hope this helps,
Chris

How long do you think they can last with this small tank cause I know somebody who offered a tank to me s while ago but I wouldn't be able to get my hands on it for about like four more day
And I woke up this morning and saw it was just like a PINCH cloudy (they don't seem to mind) but I heard washing the tank to much adds a lot of stess that might kill them

Read up on the Nitrogen cycle. Nobody likes this but G/F do much better in a bare bottom tank. YOU CAN GET SOME GOOD INFO AT.
the goldfish connection.com.
PS I kept fancy G/F for over 20 years

Hi again. Four days before you get a larger aquarium, you probably can do it if you do daily water changes and adding Prime. Keeping them in the 7 gallon long term is possible.

Here the AA article on cycling with fish
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

You can get good information on Goldfish here at AA. In fact there are a number of us.

Some people recommend bare bottom tanks. Others, especially that have plants do use gravel. Goldfish do like to root about in the substrate.

If you can siphon the water; then match the temperature and condition the water and put the new water in, the fish are not overly stressed. Usually they like the small waterfall.

Hope this helps,
Chris+

Thanks for the info but how small can of be AT LEAST cause I heard they grow HUGE and also i have a lamp I shine on them but it'd not like super bright and I face it more towards the wall and ibeas just wondering if the lamp on themes okay I heard that it can give them sizers and other people say only for 19 hours

Thanks for the info but how small can of be AT LEAST cause I heard they grow HUGE and also i have a lamp I shine on them but it'd not like super bright and I face it more towards the wall and ibeas just wondering if the lamp on themes okay I heard that it can give them sizers and other people say only for 19 hours

Unfortunately, with goldfish there is so much mis-information out there it's scary. However, what you've been told by other members so far is not one of them. It all pretty simple really ... that little glass box they're in now just is not meant for goldfish and will not sustain them ... especially if it doesn't have adequate filtration. As the others have said, goldfish are messy fish with LARGE bioloads, so they will pollute their water with their own waste. It only gets worst as they grow .. and grow they will .. up to 8inches. But in a tank that small, I wouldn't worry about them reaching 8 inches, their growth will probably be stunted which means health problems.

This is one reason why a good rule for goldfish are 20gal for the 1st and 10gal each after that. You need that much water volume to handle their growth and their waste. A 30 gal should be the ideal minimum. If a 30gal is not an option, then get at the very least a 20gal tank ... it's not ideal but better than a 7 gal.

Then you need to look at adequate filtration so in a 20 gal / 30gal ... you need a filter that can handle a 55gal tank and at do 150gph at least .. preferably more. Unfortunately I don't think you can get any adequate filter for that tank.

Forget about how concerning with how long the light should be on. During the day keep you can keep it off and turn it on around mid afternoon till you go to sleep. To sustain them your talking about 50% PWC's once maybe twice a day, not to mention a good gravel cleaning. It can be done, but your looking at a lot of work to maintain clean water. Get a bottle of Seachem Prime (de-chlorinator) and an API test master kit ... they are great tools in this hobby.

As a final option you could always call up LFS's and tell them you have 2 fancy goldfish you would to re-home. Your certain to find one that will help.

EDIT - CORRECTION!! Opps :facepalm:.. I just re-read and it's three goldfish? In that case FORGET about 30 gal ... you need a 40gal at minimum ... a thirty at this point wont work .. to much Bioload.

I'm in bad trouble now...but I would never regime them...this sucks

Actually it's just takes some due diligence, effort and patience. You took the first step by coming to AA for advice. I get the vibe that you want to provide the best for the goldfish. If so, then to start with they just need a larger tank with adequate filtration. From there it's taking the next steps to have an established tank. revchristinejday posted a link on cycling which will be absolutely crucial. Believe me ... nothing is worst in this hobby than watching fish die of ammonia poisoning. I've seen it (didn't know it at the time) and when I think back to it ... well that sucks:facepalm:. It's something I wouldn't want you to see.

Return the fish or get him a bigger tank ASAP. I give up 1-3 months. If he survives that he's going to be stunted/weak.

Here's one of my comets from my pond next to "goldfish bowl". Your tank is definitely not 7 gallons. I'd put it close to 3-5.

dsc02076ee.jpg

Are u able to get a larger tank ?? I hope u can... I want u to be able to keep them. Don't feel bad u didn't know but now that we do we'll just try and fix it :)

Dear Goldfishgirl1999,

I think your computer auto-corrected some of your words in the last message so I am going to try to guess at your questions. Fantail goldfish, like other fancy varieties do not grow as large as single tailed/commons or comets. So fantails will grow to somewhere 5-8 inches depending on their genetics. So a 40 gallon for your three will do for their maturity. They'll be thrilled with any size larger. You can get by with a 29 gallon for a year or so.

Goldfish should have some down time with lights. Think night time in a pond. So 12 hours or so would be normal--anything more might stress them. The indirect light is fine although aquarium hoods with florescent lights or even LED uses less energy.

In this heat, I leave my aquarium lights off entirely to keep the heat down.
Chris+

Thanks do much I think I will be able to get my hands on it on the max a week try have only been living in it for a couple days....I hope they won't die I will feel sooooo bad

Back
Top Bottom