Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help please urgent

So I just got three fantailed calico goldfish from pj's pets in the mall and they are jot that big.
For my tank I used my old hermit crab tank (witch is a little bit smaller than 10g I would say 7) and washed it out REALLY good but I was looking on Internet and it said that I needed like a 38 gallon tank the guy who helped us said nothing about the tank so now I am FREAKING OUT that they might die....they are so cute
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME
(and this is my first fish that isn't a Betta ...I had hundreds of those)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2109596352.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	44461   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-963082823.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	44462  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3092395950.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	44463  

Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

They look ok for now, but you will probably need to get a bigger tank. They can get pretty big. 6-10 inches is probably very attainable.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Zarlinia Send a message via Skype™ to Zarlinia
Goldfish are pretty hearty so for now you're ok. You'll have to see about getting a filter of some kind though since goldfish are notorious for being very dirty. I had 3 comets before and it was impossible to keep the water clear for more than a few days even with filtering. The filter will also aerate the water so the fish get oxygen.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 AM   #4

How big do u think I will need when they grow and I don't have a filter and wash it by hand but then I have to do that very often do you think it was stress then out a lot ???
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dear Goldfishgirl1999,
Fantails are considered "fancy goldfish" and they will need in the near future much more space. The rule of thumb for goldfish is 20 gallons for first and 10 gallon for each additional goldfish...so 40 gallons eventually. Plus goldfish require as much filtration as possible--usually calculated as 1 the gallons or 400 gph. They prefer long tanks verses tall tanks. Fantails can grow to 6-8 inches. So I would get as large an aquarium and filter package as you can afford as soon as you can. Goldfish are rather hardy but poor water conditions (high ammonia, nitrates and nitrites) can kill them and allow bad bacteria to grow and infect them. In the small tank you will need to do frequent large water changes (treated with prime) and get a small filter. Then when you get a new tank you can use the small filter and a new filter in the new tank and much more quickly cycle the new tank. There's a really good thread here on AA about how to cycle with fish in that will also help you. Hope this helps,
Chris
Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #6

How long do you think they can last with this small tank cause I know somebody who offered a tank to me s while ago but I wouldn't be able to get my hands on it for about like four more day
And I woke up this morning and saw it was just like a PINCH cloudy (they don't seem to mind) but I heard washing the tank to much adds a lot of stess that might kill them
Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Read up on the Nitrogen cycle. Nobody likes this but G/F do much better in a bare bottom tank. YOU CAN GET SOME GOOD INFO AT.
the goldfish connection.com.
PS I kept fancy G/F for over 20 years
Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagoi View Post
YOU CAN GET SOME GOOD INFO AT.
the goldfish connection.com.
PS I kept fancy G/F for over 20 years
So your saying there is no good information here?

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi again. Four days before you get a larger aquarium, you probably can do it if you do daily water changes and adding Prime. Keeping them in the 7 gallon long term is possible.

Here the AA article on cycling with fish
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

You can get good information on Goldfish here at AA. In fact there are a number of us.

Some people recommend bare bottom tanks. Others, especially that have plants do use gravel. Goldfish do like to root about in the substrate.

If you can siphon the water; then match the temperature and condition the water and put the new water in, the fish are not overly stressed. Usually they like the small waterfall.

Hope this helps,
Chris+
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the info but how small can of be AT LEAST cause I heard they grow HUGE and also i have a lamp I shine on them but it'd not like super bright and I face it more towards the wall and ibeas just wondering if the lamp on themes okay I heard that it can give them sizers and other people say only for 19 hours

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com