help plz!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquid_angel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
plz help me!!! im just setting up my 6x2x2 tank. got a6ft light for it and it doesnt fit in/under the hood of the cabinet... the light fits flush in the sides of the hood but the power cord comes out of the side of the light and wont fit aswell. what should i do??? im sure the light should fit???

Do I understand you correctly in that the light itself fits, but the power cord sticks out the side & that is the problem?

Depending on your hood/light I can think of some DIY solutions.

Some lights comes with knockout holes to allow you to move the power cord. If you have some house wiring experience, it is not difficult to move the power cord to a different location. <You have to open the light, disconnect the power cord from the ballast/switch, move it to the knock out hole of your choice (you will need a wiring clamp for the knockout), and reconnect the wires exactly as it was before.>

Alternatively, you may have to drill/notch the canopy to fit the wire. <This might look ugly, depending on what you have to do ....>

thanx for the help! yeah you understood right but im not sure what a knockout hole is?? lol is it like another spot the wire can go? its a heto brand light if that helps at all ill have a look now tho see if theres any holes

It doesn't have to be a hole ... a knock out is normally closed. It is a stamped circle cutout, so that there is a cut line around most of the circle, but the "inside" is still connected by thin stripes of metal/plastic. You knock out the inside with a punch or screwdriver & you get a perfect circle of the appropriate size.

I don't know your brand of light .... so I don't know if it is designed with movable cord location.

It may be possible to move the cord by drilling a new hole .... this would void your warranty, and you need to know a bit about light fixtures so you don't route the wire in a hot spot & cause a fire hazard. So you should attempt a mod of the fixture only if you know what you are doing.

Back
Top Bottom