Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help! - Question regarding a solenoid

Hello All,
Recently I have purchased a co2 cylinder and regulator without solenoid (because it was cheap!) to inject co2 for my planted tank. I put the cylinder far away from the tank because it was tall and did not fit into the stand. Now I have a desire to get a solenoid separately, since it became troublesome for me to open and close the regulator every morning and night. My question is, if I can use this regulator, Milwaukee MA955 Solenoid Valve in the middle of tube or I have to attach it up to the regulator somehow. From the picture, it looks possible to do so, but I was not sure. I am asking this because the place I put the cylinder has no outlet around. I wanted to connect this solenoid somewhere close to an aquarium and diffuser, so that I can get the place to plug it in. Sorry for asking a silly question - any suggestion/experience/professional advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

that hooks in between the output of the regulator and the needle valve. i dont think its possible to put it somewhere inline. if you dont have a outlet near might just want to run the co2 24/7. its not really harmful more so if you are diffusing it with a power head. you could just put the power head on a timer like the lights.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinji View Post
Hello All,
Recently I have purchased a co2 cylinder and regulator without solenoid (because it was cheap!) to inject co2 for my planted tank. I put the cylinder far away from the tank because it was tall and did not fit into the stand. Now I have a desire to get a solenoid separately, since it became troublesome for me to open and close the regulator every morning and night. My question is, if I can use this regulator, Milwaukee MA955 Solenoid Valve in the middle of tube or I have to attach it up to the regulator somehow. From the picture, it looks possible to do so, but I was not sure. I am asking this because the place I put the cylinder has no outlet around. I wanted to connect this solenoid somewhere close to an aquarium and diffuser, so that I can get the place to plug it in. Sorry for a silly question - any suggestion/experience/professional advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
It's not a silly question at all.
Is your needle valve on your regulator?
This solenoid will go anywhere along the tubing run. IMHO it would be better on the low pressure side of the line. This would help to lessen the amount of gas seeping out of the tubing.
Just to state my owncase, I've had my setup running for two years 24/7 with no ill effects.
I feel the small lose of gas is better than the 1 point swing in pH during the time the gas is off.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:41 AM   #4

Thank you!!

Thank you all for kind replies. I am afraid, but let me ask another question please. Generally speaking, this kind of solenoid can be attached to any regulators size-wise? I began to consider attaching the solenoid between the regulator and needle valve as suggested, using a long extension cord to the outlet. For reference, my regulator is concoa 806-5587 in the page linked: http://www.concoa.com/docs/catalogs/...0Regulator.pdf
I also do have the needle valve attaching to the regulator output. Again, thank you very much for your time and kindness!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ruadh is correct i never seen one like that before.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinji View Post
Thank you all for kind replies. I am afraid, but let me ask another question please. Generally speaking, this kind of solenoid can be attached to any regulators size-wise? I began to consider attaching the solenoid between the regulator and needle valve as suggested, using a long extension cord to the outlet. For reference, my regulator is concoa 806-5587 in the page linked: http://www.concoa.com/docs/catalogs/...0Regulator.pdf
I also do have the needle valve attaching to the regulator output. Again, thank you very much for your time and kindness!

I don't think there's any problem using this solenoid with your regulator.
You can mount it right by, or on, your tank, probably with no extension cord, and make things a little easier on yourself.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #7

I will try

Dear All,
Having had positive answers for two of my questions, I can now purchase and try the solenoid without a hesitation. Again, thank you very much to mgamer20o0 and Ruadh for your kind and helpful info!!

Tags
solenoid

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com