Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

HELP!!! reef octopus is loud!!!

Hi All,
I just got my reef octopus bh 100f, I set it up and the pump is REALLY Loud! I cant figure out why... I set it up the best I could... my skimmer did not match the one in the picture... I have a valve that I didn’t use... I dont even know where to put it. it came attached to the blue tube but I had to connect it to the top of the intake. The other clear tube has a silencer on it. I attached some pics, I hope you guys can help me solve the issue.
Thanks a lot!!
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3410.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	20829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3411.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	20830  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3412.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	20831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3413.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	20832  

Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

anyone?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The valve is supposed to go where you have the blue airline plugged in. The blue airline then gets hooked to the valve and the valve should be shut when the skimmer is running.
What are the 2 clear airlines attached to? 1 should be attached to the air intake on the pump venturi on 1 end and the other end has the black air silencer. Where does the 1 attached to the blue line go? Nothing should be attached to the blue line.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

the blue one is attached to the top of the intake, if i take the blue line out, the pump will not sick the water from the intake.... One clear line is attached to the pump and the other end is attached to the black air silencer.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

You have to attach the shut off vavle to the intake where the blue line is. Then plug the blue line into the valve. The valve is OFF when the skimmer is running. The reason for the valve is to open it when you start the skimmer and suck the air out. Then you shut the valve.
I see 2 clear airlines. Where are each attached to? 1 should not be stuck to the blue airline.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

It came pre assembled. Both clear lines go to the bottom of the powerhead. 1st clear line goes out to the black silencer. 2nd clear line also connected to the powerhead connects to the blue line (came out of the box like that). Do i connect the valve where the clear connects blue or where it goes into the intake? I tried to connect it at the intake but when I attached the valve to the blue line the hole was too big for the other end of the valve to go into. I turned it on anyway to see but the intake did not work. My bh 100f looks different from other bh100f that i have seen on the net... mine does not have the top shut off valve like others. Did I get a difect?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
SW 20 & Over Club

I have no idea why there would be 2 airlines connected to the pump. Normally you have 1 airline which draws air into the pump and that airline has a silencer to quiet the sound of air being sucked into the thin airline.
Anyway, disconnect the clear airline from the blue line and hold your finger over the blue line to close it off. Does that make any difference?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

makes no difference... I got it working with the valve in between the blue and clear but there is no change preformace wise... still loud and it looks like its not pushing much water through the system. What should I do?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unplug the skimmer, fill it halfway with tank water the take the top off of the air silencer, plug it back in and quickly with your finger block the air intake until the water level rises in the middle chamber up to the bottom of the collection cup the let it go. This may help you out, this how I get my RO BH800-s primed and running.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
I have no idea why there would be 2 airlines connected to the pump. Normally you have 1 airline which draws air into the pump and that airline has a silencer to quiet the sound of air being sucked into the thin airline.
Anyway, disconnect the clear airline from the blue line and hold your finger over the blue line to close it off. Does that make any difference?
I have the RO BH800-s and the blue hose is suppose to be connected to 1 of the clear hoses (Mine has no valve) and the other is the air intake with silencer as you indicated. I don't think the unit is primed correctly. When your done the directions are great for a backup piece of TP.

Tags
loud, octopus, reef, reef octopus, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com