Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

HELP! Skimmer broken?

Went to clean out my collection cup last night on my 90g tank which has a reef octopus basic skimmer. I noticed that the bubbles weren't being generated in the body and therefore there were no bubbles to make it to the cup.

I checked the air hose line and even if I out my finger over it nothing happens. The water is making it into the skimmer but it's not foam no matter how I adjust it.

I guess the question is: Is the skimmer broken? Do I need a new pump? Or a whole new skimmer?

Thanks guys, I know you all will know the answer!!!

Old 03-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here is a picture, almost forgot

Old 03-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

sorry I can't help Carey, but, just wanted to say how very glad I am that you recommended the esopps skimmer to me. I bought it and have been very happy with it. I was going to buy the octopus and I'm glad I did'nt. Sorry to hear your having a problem with yours. I'm sure someone here will have an answer for you. Again thanks so much for your suggestion.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a long shot especially since you got way more experience then me but did you do a large wc or cleaning? I've noticed on my big monthly wc my skimmer is pretty much crystal clear water without bubbles due to what I expect to be very little organics in the water...and have you pulled off the pump to see if its spitting out any bubbles at all
Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Glad yours is working out for you. Mine is still going strong on my 125g. lol In fact, I may be getting another one for my 60g cube, they are the only reasonably priced ones that i can find that actually work. LOL

here's hoping the octopus is fixable, I cringe that I may need to buy two skimmers this month.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
This is a long shot especially since you got way more experience then me but did you do a large wc or cleaning? I've noticed on my big monthly wc my skimmer is pretty much crystal clear water without bubbles due to what I expect to be very little organics in the water...and have you pulled off the pump to see if its spitting out any bubbles at all

Haven't taken the pump off or anything to check it, just made sure the hose is still attached to it. Nope, no water change, planning on it today, thats why I was under there getting stuff cleaned up. I know exactly what you mean though, I have that issue with my 125g skimmer sometimes after a water change.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Pull the airline hose off the pump and jam a straightened-out paper clip in there. Chances are it's just clogged with salt creep and preventing the pump from pulling in any air.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com